Calculate Time Dilation b/w t1 & t2 Using Average Mean Density

In summary: You would need to use a different equation to calculate time dilation between different points in spacetime.
Ans
I thinking how to calculate time dilation in different time with usage of average mean density.
Lets set that Universe have average mean density ##\Omega_{t1}## at time t1 and ##\Omega_{t2}## at time t2.
How to get time dilation, for comoving observers, between time t1 and t2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time dilation of what relative to what?

mfb said:
Time dilation of what relative to what?
Dilation of time if Universe had density ##\Omega_{t1}## to case if Universe had density ##\Omega_{t2}## and same size.

Time dilation is something one reference frame has relative to the other in the same universe. Using it as absolute value does not make sense.

First of all, this is a Relativity question, so I'm moving this to the Relativity section.

Have you looked-up the equation for gravitational time dilation? Do you understand, in general, how to use it?

What you are describing (using mass density) isn't a common case of how the equation is used, but you may be able to utilize it for a similar purpose. One thing you will notice about the equation though, is that when you are far away from a massive object, it returns the result t0=tf (no time dilation). Depending on the particular thing you are trying to find, the answer may simply be that there is no significant time dilation due to the density of the universe.

mfb said:
Time dilation is something one reference frame has relative to the other in the same universe. Using it as absolute value does not make sense.
While it doesn't make sense to talk about different universes, it wouldn't be fundamentally different for the OP's problem to talk about different places in the current universe that have different densities...

...the issue I see is how to apply density to the equation at all.

"How to get time dilation, for comoving observers, between time t1 and t2?"

If I understand your question correctly, I think the answer you seek is that there is no time dilation for co moving observers. Time has passed at a fixed rate for co moving observers for the duration of the universe.

Such observers agree with one another on the amount of clock time since the Big Bang, and this is what we mean when we speak of the age of the universe in the FLRW cosmological model...13.8B years as the age of the universe.

russ_watters said:
Have you looked-up the equation for gravitational time dilation? Do you understand, in general, how to use it?
I think yes, at least I studied GR in university some years ago. But I work in area not related to GR.
Problem is - I have some new hypothesis not related to cosmology, and unexpectedly found it is necessary to test the hypothesis with cosmology models.
Well, I think I got some ideas for my tests, thanks.

russ_watters said:
Have you looked-up the equation for gravitational time dilation?

This won't help, because gravitational time dilation is only meaningful in stationary spacetimes, and the spacetime of the universe is not stationary (because the universe is expanding).

Ans said:
I thinking how to calculate time dilation in different time with usage of average mean density.
Lets set that Universe have average mean density ##\Omega_{t1}## at time t1 and ##\Omega_{t2}## at time t2.
How to get time dilation, for comoving observers, between time t1 and t2?
There's no time dilation as a result of the average density of the universe.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a high velocity or is in a strong gravitational field, as compared to an object at rest.

2. How is time dilation calculated?

The formula for calculating time dilation between two events is: t2 = t1 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t1 is the time measured for the first event, t2 is the time measured for the second event, v is the relative velocity between the two events, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is meant by "average mean density" in this calculation?

In this context, average mean density refers to the average density of matter in a given region. This is used to determine the strength of the gravitational field present, which can affect the amount of time dilation experienced.

4. How does time dilation impact our daily lives?

Time dilation is a very small effect and is only noticeable at extremely high velocities or in strong gravitational fields. It has a significant impact in fields such as astrophysics and space travel, but for our daily lives, the effect is so small that it is not noticeable.

5. Can time dilation be observed or measured?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured through various experiments and observations. One famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment, in which atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions and showed a difference in time when compared to stationary clocks.