What is the unit vector parallel to A at point P(1,-1,2)?

• Thread starter Bingo1915
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the magnitude of a vector can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. The dot product of two vectors is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and then adding the products together. The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula. To multiply a vector by a scalar, you simply multiply each component of the vector by that number.
Bingo1915
How can I calculate the following?
Given A=[tex]\hat{x}[/tex](x+2y)-[tex]\hat{y}[/tex](y+3z)+[tex]\hat{z}[/tex](3x-y)
Determine a unit vector parallel to A at point P(1,-1,2).

Physics news on Phys.org
It's straight forward substitution. Find the vector A at the given point and then calculate the unit vector by scaling A by the inverse of its length (thus making the new vector's length one).

I agree. By substitution A=-1i-5j+4z, The magnitude of A = Sqrt((-1)2+(-5)2+(4)2). Divide the magnitude into A to get the unit vector.

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. In other words, if a vector is represented by a = (a1, a2, a3), then the magnitude is given by √(a12 + a22 + a32).

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, if you have two vectors a = (a1, a2, a3) and b = (b1, b2, b3), then a + b = (a1 + b1, a2 + b2, a3 + b3).

3. How do I calculate the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and then adding the products together. In other words, if a = (a1, a2, a3) and b = (b1, b2, b3), then a · b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

4. How do I find the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula. If a and b are two vectors, then the angle between them (in radians) can be found using the equation cosθ = a · b / (∥a∥ ∥b∥), where ∥a∥ and ∥b∥ represent the magnitudes of the vectors.

5. How do I multiply a vector by a scalar?

To multiply a vector by a scalar (a single number), you simply multiply each component of the vector by that number. For example, if a = (a1, a2, a3) and k is a scalar, then k · a = (k * a1, k * a2, k * a3).