Calculating Weight Ratio of PEO and LiClO4 in PEO-LiClO4-Al2O3 PE Samples

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation of PEO-LiClO4-Al2O3 PE samples and the calculation of the weight percentage ratio between PEO and LiClO4. The formula for PEO is C2nH4n+2On+1 and if the oxygen to lithium ratio is 10:1, then n=9. This means that the weight of PEO is 414.49432 grams and the weight ratio between PEO and LiClO4 is approximately 4:1. The conversation also clarifies that the ratio can be calculated using either molar or mass proportions.
SPEOTW
TL;DR Summary
Weight ratio calculation of a compound
So i found this on a journal, and im wondering what is n and how can i calculate the weight percentage ratio between the PEO and LiClO4. Here is the instruction.

To prepare PEO-LiClO4-Al2O3 PE samples, predetermined amounts of LiClO4 (such that oxygen to lithium ion ratio is n:1) and Al2O3 (as a percentage of the total weight of the (PEO)nLiClO4 PEs) were dissolved and ultrasonicated in anhydrous acetonitrile.

Can someone help me if n = 10 what is the weight ratio between PEO and LiClO4.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Not clear to me if they mean molar or mass ratio.

But basically: PEO contains more or less constant percentage of oxygen (take a look at the formula). So if you take 1 mole of LiClO4 (and you have one mole of Li+) you need to find out what mass of PEO contains corresponding amount of oxygen (n-times higher, either in molar or mass proportion).

Hi Thankyou for your reply.

So PEO chemical formula is C2n H4n+2 On+1, which means, if the ratio of oxygen and lithium is 10 : 1, i have to insert n=9 in the PEO formula. which means the calculation of weight of the PEO becomes:
O9+1 = O10 = 10 mol x 16 g/mol = 160 gram
H4n+2 = 4(9) + 2 = 36+2 = 38 mol x 1.00794 g/mol = 38.30172 gram
C2n = 2x9 = 18 mol = 18 mol x 12.0107 g/mol = 216.1926 gram

Total Weight = 160 + 38.30172 + 216.1926 = 414.49432 gram

The molar mass of Liclo4 is 106.39 g/mol, so the weight ratio is

414.49432 : 106.39 = 3.89 : 1 ~ 4 : 1

am i right? looking forward to your answer!

1. How do you calculate weight ratio?

The weight ratio is calculated by dividing the weight of one substance by the weight of another substance. This can be represented as a fraction or decimal.

2. What is the formula for calculating weight ratio?

The formula for calculating weight ratio is: weight of substance A / weight of substance B = weight ratio. This can also be written as a fraction: A/B = weight ratio.

3. Can weight ratio be negative?

No, weight ratio cannot be negative. It is a comparison of two weights and therefore will always result in a positive value.

4. How is weight ratio used in science?

Weight ratio is used in science to determine the relative amounts of different substances in a mixture or solution. It is also used in chemistry to calculate the amount of reactants needed for a chemical reaction.

5. Can weight ratio be converted into a percentage?

Yes, weight ratio can be converted into a percentage by multiplying the weight ratio by 100. This will give the percentage of one substance in relation to the other in the mixture or solution.