1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to check if r1(t) = r2(t)

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that r1(t) and r2(t) define the same line, where
    [itex]r_{1}[/itex](t) = <3,-1,4> + t<8,12,-6>
    [itex]r_{2}[/itex](t) = <11,11,-2> + t<4,6,-3>

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set [itex]r_{1}[/itex](t) = [itex]r_{2}[/itex](t) and got the value of t which is 2.
    then I plugged that t value into [itex]r_{1}[/itex](t) and [itex]r_{2}[/itex](t) which both of them came out to be <19,23,-8>. Is this how to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general, you should use a different variable for the parameter in the two expressions; i.e.
    r1(t)=3,-1,4> + t<8,12,-6>

r2(s)=<11,11,-2> + s<4,6,-3>​

All that you have shown is that the two lines intersect at <19,23,-8> .

See if you can find a linear relationship between s & t that makes the two lines equivalent.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]r_{1}[/itex](t) = <3,-1,4> + t<8,12,-6>
    [itex]r_{2}[/itex](t) = <11,11,-2> + t<4,6,-3>

As SammyS suggested, use another letter, say, s (in honor of SammyS, of course!) as parameter for the second equation. Then, where the lines intersect, we must have
    x= 3+ 8t= 11+ 4s
    y= -1+ 12t= 11+ 6s
    z= 4- 6t= -2- 3t.

You can solve the first equation for, say, s as a function of t. Replace s in the other two equations with that and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook