1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools How to choose a University

1. Nov 22, 2017 #61

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A google search for "audit a course" turns up the University of Wisconsin, for one:

https://kb.wisc.edu/ls/page.php?id=26734
    The college where I taught has a similar policy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Nov 23, 2017 #62
    Anyway, in the end which is the point?
    I shouldn't go to others courses?

3. Nov 23, 2017 #63
    From my perspective, the point is what I said before: If you want to audit a course strictly to augment your knowledge in a subject outside of your major, then OK. But since you receive no official credit, it's not something you should put on your resume or CV. But, perhaps during an interview, it's something you can mention.

4. Nov 24, 2017 #64
    I agree with you, this can't solve the problem if not having the possibility to do a real double degree.

5. Nov 24, 2017 #65
    I’m also having a similar problem. Where I’m from, (I’m in my last year in middle school) we have to choose a college to go to before your reach high school. It’s recomended for students my age to start choosing a couple schools and then narrowing them down in the future. My dream school is MIT in the USA (if ya guys heard of it). Anyways, I feel that I should decide about that later. But, I live in Hawaii, and I’m trying to decide which community college/college/university to go to in the islands so I can stay close to my family. Any advice?

6. Nov 24, 2017 #66

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Deciding which college or university before you have started high school is senseless. YOU do not know. Your PARENTS do not know. Nobody knows. You must grow and develop more first. Why college or university? Why not a vocational school or vocational training? You could choose imaginably any local community college for either preparation for university OR for getting vocational training. In case you are not yet qualified for a university program upon high school graduation, you can build your qualifications at a community college for a few terms and then transfer to U.

7. Nov 24, 2017 #67
    <<Emphasis added.>>
    What do you mean by "you have to choose a college before you reach high school"? So, you attend High School A if you plan to go to MIT, High School B if you plan to go to Harvard, and High School C if you plan to go to U. of Idaho? Huh?

8. Nov 26, 2017 #68
    No... it’s more like we fill out “fake” applications and submit it to our school. I know that you are probably thinking yeah, why am I stressing about it, but really, we get graded on our application and our teachers even tell us that yes, it seems pointless now, but it may come in handy in the future... (still confused about that)

9. Nov 26, 2017 #69
    OK. Thanks for the clarification. But do your practice applications have any effect at all on your high school program? Or is it just an instructive exercise to start you thinking about what you want to do?

10. Nov 26, 2017 #70
    Mmm. I’m pretty sure that it has an effect on something... I think it effects our ELA class... not totally sure though

11. Nov 26, 2017 #71

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

As a middle school student, you're not really "applying" to those colleges. It sounds to me like this is an exercise in how to (eventually) fill out a real application, many years down the road.

12. Nov 26, 2017 #72

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can only interpret that to mean that filling in college applications is not an easy thing ( meaning filling them so that you will be accepted) , so , by doing it now, you are getting a head start.

13. Nov 26, 2017 #73
    What's ELA?

14. Nov 26, 2017 #74

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ultimately, for undergrad, I think it comes down to finding a place where you can create a network of people to find you better opportunities. Sounds cold and not very idealistic, but a first good job can make a big difference over the long run.

15. Nov 27, 2017 #75
    English Language Arts

16. Nov 27, 2017 #76
    Hm. Never thought of it as a head start. I guess you are right

17. Nov 27, 2017 #77
    OK, now that it's clear that you don't need to choose a university, and that what you are doing is a practice exercise in filling out a college application, it actually makes good sense to me, and I think it's a great idea. Because now you will know what you need to do during the high-school years ahead in order to have a strong application in the first part of your senior year. If you wait until the start of the senior year, there won't be time to remedy many deficiencies: E.g.: (a) You'll need letters of recommendation. Oops! I don't know anyone well enough to write them for me. (b) You'll need to describe special activities outside of school. Oops! I haven't done anything. (c) You'll need to describe activities that demonstrate your passion for science. Oops! I never did any science fair projects. So now, you will know ahead of time what you need to do; and that's good.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted