How to clean cast iron fry pan

• Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    clean Iron
In summary, the easiest way to clean a cast iron fry pan with calcium deposits is to soak it in diluted vinegar overnight, use a wire brush to remove any remaining deposits, wash thoroughly with soap, and then coat with a thin layer of high temp oil and heat in the oven for an hour. Repeat this process until a non-stick finish is achieved. Alternatively, the pan can be re-seasoned on the stove top by heating oil and salt until it smokes, then cooling.
John1397
How would be the easiest way to clean a cast iron fry pan that has been heated with water in it that had calcium in the water as now it has calcuim deposited 1/8" thick?

John

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's probably not calcium (a fairly reactive metal) but a salt. Try leaving it with diluted vinegar in it overnight.
It a reasonably weak acid which would not react much with the iron.

Last edited:
The old fashioned way is to toss it in a campfire, then re-season it when it's cooled. Whether or not it's coated in calcium or salts, fire should solve this problem.

Start with the vinegar soak. Then use a wire brush to get down to bare metal. The best being a cup-brush in a hand-held power grinder, or lots of elbow grease with a regular brush and/or metal scouring pad. Then wash as clean as you can get, soap is OK at this point.

Once you've cleaned and dried it, coat it with a thin layer, less than 1/8", of high temp oil like canola or peanut and put it in your oven on fairly high -- just below where the oil begins to smoke if you can -- and let it sit for an hour. Then cool and wipe out the excess. You may need to repeat the oil treatment after each use until you get a nice non-stick finish.

I re-season pans on the stove top by heating oil until it starts to smoke and then cooling. For some reason I also put regular table salt in the oil, but I think this may be an "old-wives" thing -- maybe more for a cleaning abrasive scrubbing process.

, cleaning a cast iron fry pan that has calcium deposits can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely doable. The easiest way to clean it would be to use a mixture of vinegar and water. First, make sure the pan is completely cool before attempting to clean it. Then, mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the calcium deposits and let it sit for a few minutes. The acidity of the vinegar will help break down the calcium deposits. Next, use a scrub brush or non-abrasive sponge to gently scrub the pan. Rinse the pan with hot water and dry it thoroughly. You may need to repeat this process a few times to completely remove the calcium deposits. Once the pan is clean, make sure to season it with a thin layer of oil to prevent it from rusting. I hope this helps!

What is the best method for cleaning a cast iron fry pan?

The best method for cleaning a cast iron fry pan is to use a mixture of hot water and mild soap. Scrub the pan with a non-abrasive sponge or brush, rinse it thoroughly with hot water, and dry it immediately with a clean towel. Avoid using harsh chemicals or steel wool, as they can damage the pan's surface.

Can I put my cast iron fry pan in the dishwasher?

No, you should never put a cast iron fry pan in the dishwasher. The high heat and harsh chemicals can strip the pan's seasoning and cause it to rust. It is best to hand wash the pan with hot water and mild soap.

How do I remove stuck-on food from my cast iron fry pan?

If there is stubborn food stuck on the pan, you can use a paste made of equal parts baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the affected area and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a non-abrasive sponge or brush. Rinse and dry the pan thoroughly.

Can I use metal utensils on my cast iron fry pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on a cast iron fry pan. They can scratch and damage the pan's surface, causing it to lose its non-stick properties. It is best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils when cooking with a cast iron pan.

How do I maintain the seasoning on my cast iron fry pan?

To maintain the seasoning on your cast iron fry pan, make sure to dry it thoroughly after each use. You can also rub a small amount of cooking oil onto the pan's surface before storing it. If the seasoning starts to wear off, you can re-season the pan by coating it with a thin layer of oil and baking it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.