Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to combine two functions

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    hi all!

I have a problem related with some data analysis.
    I have two functions, expressin the energy resolution of a certain device, and the are function of two differente variables. What I want to do is two write a function of two variables from the one variable function I have.

To be more clear, in my device I can write energy as:

E = A/x^2 an E=B/y where A is a contant that takes in account the geometry of the system and the magnetic field while be is a contant that takes in account the geometry of the system and the electric field (the system is a Thomson Parabola, but is not important)

I can write energy resolution as the derivativ of the previous function times a certain space interval:

DE = 2 (E)^(2/3) Dx / sqrt(A) and DE = E^2 Dy/B

This two derivatives are my resolution function respect to x and y, but they actually depend on E (th energy) not on the space.

How to write a function R(x,y) from the two previuos functions which gives me something like "isoresolution" curves?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted