1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to come up with a formula?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    Hey
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

can someone please help me with this question as i have no idea how to go about it to make a formula for this question.

What is the maximum possible Hamming distance between
    two nodes from level i in an n-cube?

If a node in an n-cube has i 1s and n-i 0s in its coordinate, we say that
    it is from level i.

2. Relevant equations
    i don't know what the equation is as the question is asking to come up with the equation as an answer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    this is what i know:
    Hamming distance = (100,011)=3
    but i don't know how to make a formula for this

many thankx for your help.
    koko20

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm no expert on Hamming distances, but I would play around with n = 5 and n = 6 and try various values for i to see how large you can make the Hamming distance. I think the answer and how to prove it will become clear.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have given the Hamming distance for the strings 100 and 011. These are strings in a 3-cube, but from your description, they are from different nodes, and are at different levels.

Two strings at the same level would be 101 and 011. They both have two 1's and one 0.

How does your book define Hamming distance? (You can also do a search on wikipedia for this term.)

I don't think you'll need a formula for the maximum possible Hamming distance. If you understand what this term means, you'll be able to come up with the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook