1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to come up with good questions to answer

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    I'm entering into my 2nd year of my PhD program at UF, and want to go into condensed matter theory. I'm working on a project where I'm designing, in essence, a molecular engine (at this point, not really designing, but rather "analyzing and understanding"). I am not sure how far away I am from publishing. Now, I do not want to publish garbage (i.e., publish for the sake of publishing), but I do need to not perish. I intend to get into academia (my office mate got a tenure track position at Georgia Tech, and he was doing CM-theory as well; moreover, the real "pen n' paper" type stuff). How do I come up with good questions to research? I'm trying my best right now on my project: "is this particular quantity positive-definite, is this...etc." But I feel like I could be doing more. Should I read some books?

One professor came up to me and asked me to do a project where I'd write a code to make the coordinates to a chaotic oscillator (from an undergraduate lab project) so he could 3D-print-out an evolving Poincare section (with zero volume and infinite surface area, in theory!). Another fellow, a student, (a CM-experimentalist) wanted me to find out nuclear electric quadrupole moment frequencies, and it turned out you needed to learn how to compute electronic structure. I was worried that doing these two projects would take me too far outside my skill set, but should I have undertaken them? Or should I stick with projects related to molecular engine design, and outward?

Hopefully, these questions aren't too ill-posed...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted