Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compare integral of damped oscillatory functions

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    I am looking for suggestions, literature, etc., about techniques and theorems useful for comparing improper integrals of functions characterised by a damped oscillatory behaviour.

But let me use the following example to introduce in simple terms what I actually mean.
    Consider the function
    [tex]
    f(x)= \frac{e^{i(1+x)}}{1+x}dx \; ,
    [/tex]
    we have

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx=\int^{\infty}_{0} \; \frac{cos(1+x)}{1+x}dx \; + \; i \; \int^{\infty}_{0} \; \frac{sin(1+x)}{1+x}dx \; = [/tex]
    [tex]=\; Ci(1)\; + \; i \left(Si(\infty)-Si(1)\right) \; = \; Ci(1)\; + \; i \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-Si(1)\right) [/tex]

where [tex]Si(x) [/tex] and [tex]Ci(x) [/tex] denote the Sine Integral and the Cosine Integral functions, respectively.
    Thus, the above integral exists. Note that in this case evaluating
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \left|f(x)\right|dx[/tex]
    would not have helped in verifying convergence (as it diverges).

In other words, looking at a plot of the imaginary component,
    [tex]\frac{sin(1+x)}{1+x}[/tex],
    the positive and negative areas add up to a finite value.
    Positive and negative areas of the real component also add up to a finite value.

Let us now define

[tex]g(x) = \frac{a+ix}{a+t+ix} \; \; \; a, t > 0 [/tex]

what happens when [tex]f(x)[/tex] is multiplied by [tex]g(x)[/tex] ?

[tex] g(x) [/tex] has the following properties

[tex] |g(x)| < 1 [/tex]
    [tex] |g(x)| \rightarrow 1 \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

while its argument satisfies

[tex] phase(g(x)) > 0 [/tex]
    [tex] phase(g(x)) \rightarrow 0 \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]

The above observations suggest that
    - the product [tex] f(x)g(x) [/tex] is asymptotic to [tex] f(x) \; as \; x \rightarrow \infty [/tex]
    - [tex]|f(x)g(x)| < |f(x)| \; \; \forall x \in [0, \infty ) [/tex]

a plot of the real and imaginary components (see the attached example, where the red line corresponds to [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex], while the blue one represents [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] ), would therefore show that:

- as [tex]x \rightarrow \infty[/tex], [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] tends to overlap [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex],
    - before that, the amplitude of [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] appears "compressed" wrt [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex]
    - [tex]\Re(f(x)g(x))[/tex] appears "phase shifted" wrt [tex]\Re(f(x))[/tex] along the x axis (because of the phase contribution of [tex]g(x)[/tex])
    - similar considerations apply to [tex]\Im(f(x))[/tex] and [tex]\Im(f(x)g(x))[/tex]

Thus, I would expect the following:

- [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)g(x)dx \; [/tex] also exists

- and perhaps [tex]\left|\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)g(x)dx\right| \; < \; \left|\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx\right| [/tex]
    (but I am not at all sure, as it depends on how said positive and negative areas, both smaller for the product [tex]f(x)g(x)[/tex] , actually add up together ...)

However, I do not possess sufficient experience and skills to formalise in a more rigorous way said observations, neither I know whether similar results might apply to a more general class of "damped oscillatory" functions, [tex]f(x)=u(x)+iv(x) [/tex], characterised by the following properties:

- we only know (by other means) that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} f(x)dx \; [/tex] exists

- and we also know that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} |f(x)g(x)|dx [/tex] does NOT exist (so, such a convergence test would not help).

Anybody with suggestions about where I could find relevant literature on this subject?

Thank you
    Luca

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted