1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compute arctan(1)

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    All I know about the arctan function is that its domain of def. is the whole real line and that the range of values is (-0,5*pi , 0,5*pi), and also that arctan(0)=0.

But is there a way to know that arctan(1)=(1/4)*pi without recognizing the decimal number the calculator gives?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    I think I figured out why after some brainwork:

1=tan (arctan (1))

so because tan(pi/4)=1, arctan(1)=pi/4
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    i don't know if this will help but take the unit circle and reverse it. instead of looking for the angle then finding the value. look for the value then look for the angle that gives you the value. for arcsin(1), you would go along looking a the value of tan(angle) then when you find the value, the x in arcsin(x), you look at the angle that matches up with it.
  6. Dec 6, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's easy. Just denote [itex] \arctan 1 =x [/itex] and apply the [itex] \tan [/itex] on both members of the equation. You'll find the eqn [itex] \tan x =1 [/itex] which can easily be solved.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The simplest definition of [itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] is "opposite side divided by near side" in a right triangle. If [itex]tan(\theta)= 1[/itex] then the two legs of the right triangle are the same length- it is an isosceles right triangle. What does that tell you about the angles?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?