Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compute complex relative permittivity

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    Greetings. I don't know how to use an equation with a complex frequency term, specifically this one (aka Debye expression) for frequency-dependent permittivity:

epsilon(omega) = epsiloninfinity + delta-epsilon/(1 + j*omega*tau)

where epsilon(omega) is the permittivity at omega angular frequency, epsiloninfinity is the limit of permittivity at high frequency (omega*tau >>1), tau is the time it takes to polarize the dielectric, delta-epsilon = epsilons - epsiloninfinity (where epsilons is the permittivity at omega*tau<< 1), a measure of a permittivity dispersion region that is driven by tau (different factors drive tau at different frequency ranges, q.v., e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_permittivity#Complex_permittivity), and j = -11/2.

How do I put frequency values in for omega, such as in what units, and crank it to get permittivity at a given frequency out? General comments on using complex frequency are welcome, too.

Thanks (and hopefully in my first post I described the problem so it's not gibberish :-).

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted