1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compute 'special' sum

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    Hello! I am trying to find a way to compute the following in an Excel spreadsheet without the use of a macro:

[tex]\frac{1}{n^{2}}+\frac{1}{\left(n-1\right)^{2}}+\frac{1}{\left(n-2\right)^{2}}+...+1[/tex]

Can I manipulate this into some form that would make it easier to put in Excel? I'm pretty stuck and any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kerry

[EDIT] Just wanted to make it clearer - My goal is to have some formula in one cell that references just one other cell to get the result.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
    Unfortunately, I do not believe a closed-form solution exists for the summation

S = 1/1^2 + 1/2^2 + ... + 1/n^2 = Sum of 1/k^2 from 1 to n.

The whole thing converges to 1.644934066848226436472415166646, or pi^2 / 6, as n goes to infinity.

What sort of accuracy do you need? You can always plot a range of it, and then fit a curve to it to make it look "close".

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Ahh, I was afraid of that. I'll just write the macro.

Thanks for your help!

-Kerry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook