Learn How to Connect 2 Coils for Your Multistage Coil Gun

• Thread starter Evil Genius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coils
In summary, the coils in a multistage coil gun should not be connected to each other in order to properly activate each stage. Each coil should be connected to its own circuit and the timing should be adjusted for optimal acceleration of the payload. While this method is not commonly used in coil guns, it is similar to how mag-lev railroads operate by alternating the polarity of the drive magnets to attract and repel the payload. This requires the payload to be magnetized.
Evil Genius
I have a multistage coil gun. and i was wondering how exactly do u connect the coils together. lol i thought u take wire from the first coil and use that to start the second coil.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused here, but perhaps I'm missing something. The coils shouldn't be connected to each other at all, or else they'd all activate at once. :confused:

okay so each coil is connected to a their own circuit correct?

Right, and the timing is set to maximize the payload acceleration. I don't believe that it is commonly done in coil guns, but mag-lev railroads also alternate the polarity of the drive magnets so they attract the load as it enters their influence, and repel it as it exits.

edit: Note that in the latter case, the payload itself must be magnetized.

Last edited:

Thank you for your question. Connecting coils in a multistage coil gun can be a bit complicated, but I will do my best to explain the process. First, it is important to understand that the coils need to be connected in a specific way in order for the gun to work properly.

To connect the coils, you will need to use a series connection. This means that the wire from the first coil will be connected to the wire from the second coil, and so on for each additional coil. This creates a continuous path for the electricity to flow through all of the coils.

One important thing to note is that the direction of the current flow through the coils is crucial. The current must flow in the same direction through each coil in order for the gun to work correctly. If the current flows in the opposite direction, it will actually weaken the magnetic field and reduce the effectiveness of the gun.

To ensure that the current flows in the correct direction, you can use diodes in between each coil. Diodes act as a one-way valve for electricity and will ensure that the current flows in the desired direction.

It is also important to make sure that the connections between the coils are secure and well-insulated. Any loose or exposed wires could cause the gun to malfunction or even pose a safety hazard.

I hope this explanation helps you to successfully connect your coils and enjoy your multistage coil gun. Remember to always use caution when working with electricity and to follow proper safety protocols. Good luck!

1. How do I physically connect 2 coils together?

The most common way to connect 2 coils is by using a wire to connect the positive end of one coil to the negative end of the other. This creates a series connection, where the current flows through one coil and then through the other.

2. Can I connect 2 coils in parallel?

Yes, you can connect 2 coils in parallel by connecting the positive ends together and the negative ends together. This creates a parallel connection, where the current splits and flows through both coils simultaneously.

3. What is the purpose of connecting 2 coils?

Connecting 2 coils allows for the creation of more complex electrical circuits and can increase the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coils. This is useful in many applications, such as electromagnets and transformers.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance of 2 connected coils?

The total resistance of 2 connected coils depends on whether they are connected in series or parallel. In series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when connecting 2 coils?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the coils are properly insulated and secured to prevent any short circuits or accidents. It is also important to consider the current and voltage ratings of the coils and make sure they are compatible with the power source being used.