1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to connect 4 voltage sources of 12V so there will be a general voltage of 24v

1. Jun 30, 2012 #1

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Given are 4 batteries whose value for each is 12 volts. Connect all 4 batteries in such a way so you can get a general voltage o 24Volts

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4452/kasht.jpg [Broken]

Case#A is my original solution

My classmate asked me why not case#B...I think it also possible, it just splits the corrects differently. Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In case #B, what current can flow through the "shorting wire"? Is there a potential difference between the nodes it connects from case #A?

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Oh, both crossections are 12 volts, therefor current cannot flow through there. You might say then that this wire is redundant. Yes?

5. Jun 30, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

6. Jul 2, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In real life you could not do this, since batteries are not all exactly 12V. So you'd be causing a large curent to flow thru the internal resistances of the batteries equal to ΔV/R where ΔV is the difference in voltage and R is the sum of internal resistances.

7. Jul 2, 2012 #6
    There is another solution(which I can see) to this question. Try thinking about it...

There may be more :smile:

8. Jul 2, 2012 #7

Femme_physics

Gold Member

Can connect 4 in series each, 3 with the same potential coordinates, 1 in reverse :)

9. Jul 2, 2012 #8
    Yep! This is the one I thought of when I saw the thread title...

And I'm not creative enough to find yet another solution. Maybe I can disprove its existence. :tongue2:

10. Jul 2, 2012 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, and this way there's no problem with voltage mismatches.

11. Jul 2, 2012 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Actually the first setup (case A) shown in the OP is done with some li-po battery packs used in radio control models. There's a second set of connectors used to balance the batteries during or after charging so the voltage between cells is equalized (at least at the start of usage).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  12. Jul 3, 2012 #11

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Sure, for a short while you can do that, but generally not advisable in the long term. The "reversed" battery is constantly being charged by the others, so expect it to object to becoming overcharged. (Both primary and secondary cells will not like being the reversed one in the string.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook