Connecting 4 Batteries for 24V: Case A vs Case B

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of connecting four 12-volt batteries to achieve a general voltage of 24 volts. The first solution (case A) is to connect all four batteries in series, while the second solution (case B) splits the batteries into two sets of series connections. The concept of a "shorting wire" and its potential difference is also mentioned. Another solution is suggested, where three batteries are connected in series with one reversed, but it is not recommended for long-term use. The issue of voltage mismatches and balancing batteries is also brought up.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Given are 4 batteries whose value for each is 12 volts. Connect all 4 batteries in such a way so you can get a general voltage o 24Volts

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4452/kasht.jpg

Case#A is my original solution

My classmate asked me why not case#B...I think it also possible, it just splits the corrects differently. Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In case #B, what current can flow through the "shorting wire"? Is there a potential difference between the nodes it connects from case #A?

Oh, both crossections are 12 volts, therefor current cannot flow through there. You might say then that this wire is redundant. Yes?

Yes.

In real life you could not do this, since batteries are not all exactly 12V. So you'd be causing a large current to flow thru the internal resistances of the batteries equal to ΔV/R where ΔV is the difference in voltage and R is the sum of internal resistances.

There is another solution(which I can see) to this question. Try thinking about it...

There may be more :smile:

Can connect 4 in series each, 3 with the same potential coordinates, 1 in reverse :)

Femme_physics said:
Can connect 4 in series each, 3 with the same potential coordinates, 1 in reverse :)

Yep! This is the one I thought of when I saw the thread title...

And I'm not creative enough to find yet another solution. Maybe I can disprove its existence. :tongue2:

Femme_physics said:

Right, and this way there's no problem with voltage mismatches.

rude man said:
In real life you could not do this, since batteries are not all exactly 12V. So you'd be causing a large current to flow thru the internal resistances of the batteries equal to ΔV/R where ΔV is the difference in voltage and R is the sum of internal resistances.
Actually the first setup (case A) shown in the OP is done with some li-po battery packs used in radio control models. There's a second set of connectors used to balance the batteries during or after charging so the voltage between cells is equalized (at least at the start of usage).

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
Sure, for a short while you can do that, but generally not advisable in the long term. The "reversed" battery is constantly being charged by the others, so expect it to object to becoming overcharged. (Both primary and secondary cells will not like being the reversed one in the string.)

1. How should I connect 4 batteries to get 24V in Case A vs Case B?

Case A and Case B have different wiring configurations for connecting 4 batteries to achieve 24V. In Case A, the batteries should be connected in series, meaning the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the next battery. In Case B, the batteries should be connected in parallel, meaning all the positive terminals are connected together and all the negative terminals are connected together.

2. Which case is better for connecting 4 batteries for 24V?

The better case for connecting 4 batteries for 24V depends on your specific needs and preferences. Case A is better for applications where you need a higher voltage output, while Case B is better for applications where you need a longer battery life.

3. What is the voltage output in each case when connecting 4 batteries for 24V?

In Case A, the voltage output will be 24V since the batteries are connected in series, which adds up the voltage of each battery. In Case B, the voltage output will also be 24V since the batteries are connected in parallel, which keeps the voltage the same.

4. Can I mix and match batteries in Case A or Case B?

No, it is not recommended to mix and match batteries in either Case A or Case B. This can lead to unequal charging and discharging of the batteries, which can cause damage and decrease their overall lifespan.

5. Are there any safety concerns when connecting 4 batteries for 24V?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when connecting 4 batteries for 24V. It is important to follow the correct wiring configuration for Case A or Case B to avoid short circuits or overloading the batteries. Additionally, make sure to use batteries of the same type, age, and capacity to prevent imbalances in charging and discharging.