Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to continue my studies?

  1. May 11, 2006 #1
    Hi All!

    I graduated in physics at 2005 in Hungary, Europe. My research field was Density Functional Theory, I was working on a DFT computational software. I also did some basic researches in Quantum Computation.
    Unfortunately, in Hungary these things are nat really needed, so I could not -- and maybe still cannot -- continue my studies to a PhD or do some career in some field of technology. I was wondering if there is some places where I can go on with learning physics or do some researches.
    What I'm really interested in are Quantum Computation, DFT hardcore computation and system development, and Post CMOS researches.
    Since I could not continue my studies I am now a software developer at a Software company, so I have almost a year application developer experience (not to mention my two years which I was spending with coding physical proplems at the university).
    If someone knows some places suitable for me in Urope/UK/US/Japan or even in other countries, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. I want to go back to physics :).

  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

    I do a PhD on DFT computations for CMOS structures at IMEC, Belgium.

    If you want more info, check the PhD positions at IMEC or you can alwys ask me for more clarification ofcourse.

  4. May 11, 2006 #3


    User Avatar

    Concerning IMEC: Leuven's a nice place to live - especially if you like beer :smile:
  5. May 11, 2006 #4
    Hi marlon and J77!

    I glad to be contact with people who are interested in what I'm interested in :).

    I will check the PhD positions as soon as I can, but unfortunately somehow now I can't reach the IMEC server :(.

    Anyway, marlon, could you tell me something about what your researches are? I mean, does it need some special computational or other experiences?

  6. May 11, 2006 #5
    I work on the interface between the metal gate and the high k dielectric to figure out the Vt-shift in CMOS transistors. Here is some general info as to why we are using such materials. Basically i use DFT simulations to figure out the electrostatics of the interface and the influence of oxidation (inherent to the ALD deposition method of the high k) and other things...

  7. May 11, 2006 #6
    Well, this counts for almost every city in Belgium. http://www.gent.be/gent/english/ [Broken] is much nicer though...


    ps : what's the error message when you try to enter the IMEC server ? Do thers have that same problem ?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  8. May 11, 2006 #7
    The connection problem is now fixed, that was my fault.

    Anyway I have already been in Belgium. In Antwerp, and in Brugge.
    My ex:(-girlfriend was studying in Quantum Comp. in Antwerp for 3 months and I visited her. Antwerp was nice. I am not really a beer-drinker, I prefer the Martini-line, but when I was in Belgium Of Course I tasted some of its beers:). I liked Grimbergen most...
  9. May 11, 2006 #8
    Allright, I began to look out the PhD positions in EMIC. There are an awsome lot of them... To me it seems that only people already studying in some university can apply for a thesis :(. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so, becouse if I'm right, I cannot apply any of the mentioned thesises though there are a couple of interesting ones.
    Am I right or not?
  10. May 11, 2006 #9
    Sorry, I wrote EMIC instead of IMEC...
  11. May 11, 2006 #10
    Here in Belgium, you must get a master degree before doing PhD. These master thesises are just for college students in their final year. If you have a college degree you can apply for any master thesis if you want. To get the PhD, you need to obtain a scholarship. IMEC may give you such scholarships or even the European Union (Marie Curie scholarships) will do this.

  12. May 11, 2006 #11
    Thanks marlon.

    I have a master degree in physics, though.
    I found this on the IMEC site :

    For EU citizens and students with a European Master's degree: send your application form, résumé or CV, diploma certificates, reference letters (at least 2) and your topical preferences to Stefaan Van Avermaet at the address below. It is mandatory to have passed the GRE test successfully. The deadline for sending in applications for 2006 has been extended to January 13th, 2006. Only exceptionally applications outside this period are considered.

    Now my question is: what does GRE stands for? And what is this GRE exam mean?

    Thanks alot!!
  13. May 11, 2006 #12
    The GRE is a general exam to test your english, knowledge of science, IQ etc etc... Just email the person in the quotation for more info.

  14. May 11, 2006 #13
    And another question :

    Does it mean a problem that I am right now not a student at any universities, since I finished studies, ang got the master's degree?

    I think I can collect that two referentials, and maybe I could pass some exams... So there would be no limits :)
  15. May 11, 2006 #14
    So, does that mean that I don't have to take any serious exams in physics? Only in English? (My english is not perfect though, but I can 'fine-tune' it. :)
  16. May 11, 2006 #15
    Normally, you will have to pass physics exams in your first year of phd (predoctoral year). You have 5 subjects and you need an average of 800/1000 on each subject. That was how it went with me and others here at IMEC.


  17. May 11, 2006 #16
    Thats ok. Sounds suitable. That's how things go here in hungary at universities.
  18. May 12, 2006 #17
    That sounds ok, becouse that's similar to the way things go here in Hungary at universities. At the end of each semester students have to take their exams in the subjects they've learnt.
  19. May 12, 2006 #18
    Sorry... I posted the same thing twice :).
    That's how things go early in the morning, after a party :)
  20. May 12, 2006 #19
    In the morning after a party, you should be in bed with a nice girl. You should not be posting on a physicsforum. SHAME ON YOU:cool:

  21. May 15, 2006 #20
    Hi, that's me, QuantumPlan, but with that account, something went wrong, and I can't fix that, so I had to chose another name...
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook