Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert .file files

1. May 13, 2018 #1
    I have downloaded some videos of the format .file
    They will play fine in windows media player and vlc, but i don't think they work on android
    Is there any way to convert them to mp4 or any other video formats

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2018 #2
    You can try a online converter. I don't know because I only use Windows to tune motorcycles. Everything else. I use Linux.

https://video.online-convert.com/convert-video-for-android

Here is a app you can try. I cannot say what it does as I don't use it. Any video conversion. I do using Linux instead of my phone. Video conversion is very resource heavy on computer hardware.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=roman10.media.converter&hl=en_US

Edit: Forgot you can use Windows to do this also.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/video-converter-any-format/9nblggh5xr4w

4. May 13, 2018 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a version of VLC for Android if that helps.

5. May 13, 2018 #4
    ok I will see what I can do

6. May 14, 2018 #5
    Sorry none of those worked
    Video converters don't work because it doesn't recognize .file as a video format

7. May 14, 2018 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Yeah. Time to desccribe what and how you downloaded. Seems thte extension got lost in the process: .file is a generic meaningless extension.

8. May 14, 2018 #7
    Probably a Proprietary DRM issue then.

9. May 14, 2018 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Try changing it to .avi and see if that helps.

10. May 14, 2018 #9
    upload_2018-5-14_17-32-11.png
    how would i change a file to an avi
    downloaded from some sort of media player
    go onto 1001crash.com and that will give you an example
    but the videos i downloaded are literally files

11. May 14, 2018 #10
    "go onto 1001crash.com and that will give you an example"

Ok. I did just that. Here is my downloaded file I got from there.

harry@biker:~/Downloads
    $ ls
    ATR72_trans.mp4
    harry@biker:~/Downloads

I used save as in my browser window inside of their media player that opened on the view video link.

12. May 14, 2018 #11

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. May 14, 2018 #12
    actually i downloaded the video from proxfree.com
    as you can guess that is a proxy and i was on youtube
    you can only download the videos if you are on chrome as far as i am aware

14. May 14, 2018 #13

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If VLC will play it then load it into VLC and see what format VLC thinks it is. I'm sure VLC will tell you the encoding. If it thinks it's an avi then just edit the file extension from .file to .avi and try the converters again.

15. May 14, 2018 #14

russ_watters

You can change the file extension of any file by clicking it twice, slowly or by right clicking and clicking "rename"....assuming the file extension is visible in the name. If it isn't, enable it in Windows explorer (how exactly you do that depends on which version of windows you have... but generally it is in the "view" menu).

16. May 15, 2018 #15
    Surely you can't do that. I just tested. I wrote test in Notepad++, saved it as .txt. I then went to the folder it is saved in and changed the file extension from .txt to .pdf. I then tried to open the file in Adobe Reader, getting this error:
    upload_2018-5-15_18-46-47.png

17. May 15, 2018 #16

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the point @russ_watters is making is that the movie called MyMovie.file might actually be an .avi-format file.
    So, the suggestion is: rename it to MyMovie.avi .
    This doesn't change the contents or the format of the file...
    but it makes it recognizable by a movie player expecting .avi-format files to have an extension .avi.

(Some movie players might be able to determine the movie-format regardless of the file extension.... but most don't.)

18. May 15, 2018 #17

russ_watters

Right. And more to the point, .avi is a generic video package file, not a video format in and of itself, so a player like Windows Media Player will try to determine what it actually is and open it with the appropriate decoder. With the the .file extension, many players will refuse to try or just ignore the file (not show it exists in the folder).

I just tested this in the opposite direction, renaming a known good avi to .file; when I then dragged and dropped it into windows media player, the player simply ignored me.

19. May 15, 2018 #18
    Something new I've learned today!

20. May 16, 2018 #19

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry if you have heard this before but.... Several people are credited with saying...

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from".

This is particularly true about video files, codecs etc.

21. May 16, 2018 #20
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted