How to convert from 1/k to 1/c

• Thread starter cameuth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, converting from 1/k to 1/c involves subtracting 273.15 from the temperature in Kelvin. This is necessary because different scientific calculations and experiments use different temperature scales. It is possible to convert without a calculator by using an estimation method. The main difference between Kelvin and Celsius is their reference points, with Kelvin based on absolute zero and Celsius based on the freezing and boiling points of water.
cameuth
Ok, so I know this shouldn't be so hard. I am trying to convert a Coefficient of thermal expansion from 7.78E-6k^-1 to C^-1. But, I'm not sure what the conversion rate would be in this case. This is an odd conversion because you add to switch between C and K. So I'm not sure how to convert these rates. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
[tex]
1 \, \mathrm{K} = 1 \, \mathrm{C}°
[/tex]

Thanks. I'm an idiot. I knew it was something simple.

1. What is the formula for converting from 1/k to 1/c?

The formula for converting from 1/k to 1/c is: 1/c = (1/k) - 273.15, where k is the temperature in Kelvin and c is the temperature in Celsius.

2. Why do we need to convert from 1/k to 1/c?

We need to convert from 1/k to 1/c because different scientific calculations and experiments often use different temperature scales. Converting between scales allows for easier comparison and analysis of data.

3. How do I convert from 1/k to 1/c?

To convert from 1/k to 1/c, subtract 273.15 from the temperature in Kelvin. For example, if the temperature is 300 Kelvin, the conversion would be 1/c = (1/300) - 273.15 = - 272.85. This gives the temperature in Celsius.

4. Can I convert from 1/k to 1/c without a calculator?

Yes, it is possible to convert from 1/k to 1/c without a calculator by using an estimation method. Simply subtract 270 from the temperature in Kelvin and then adjust the result by a few degrees to get a more accurate conversion.

5. What is the difference between Kelvin and Celsius?

Kelvin and Celsius are both temperature scales, but they have different reference points. Kelvin is based on absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature, while Celsius is based on the freezing and boiling points of water. This means that the values on the Kelvin scale are always higher than the values on the Celsius scale.