Converting N to Moles in Acid-Base Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding converting 1 ml of 10 N NaOH into moles. The significance of 'N' is also questioned. The answer to the number of moles is determined to be 0.01 mol OH. The concept of normality is mentioned and two different definitions are compared.
lha08

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to solve a problem and it asks: If 1 ml of 10 N NaOH is added to a liter of the buffer prepared, how much will the pH change?
I know how to solve the problem but one thing is really confusing me, how am I able to convert the 1 ml of 10 N NaOH into moles...like what exactly does 'N' signify...? like supposedly it means avagadro's number. The answer to the number of moles is...0.01 mol OH

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
N stands for normality.

Like it says that normality is equivalent/L...but like how am i supposed to get the NaOH in moles?...Do i calculate it as (10 equivalent/L)*(0.01 L)= 0.1 equivalent...but like what does this mean...?

Have you heard about google? Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_(chemistry )

Note that wikipedia uses a narrow definition, that is - equivalents are what reacts with 1 mole of H+ or electrons. I prefer other definition - one that takes into account stoichiometry of the given reaction. Hence 1M HCl is always 1N, regardless of the reaction, while 1M H[su]2[/sub]SO4 is sometimes 1N and sometimes 2N, depending on the reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

To convert 1 ml of 10 N NaOH into moles, we need to understand what "N" signifies. In this context, "N" stands for normality, which is a unit of concentration commonly used in acid-base chemistry. Normality is defined as the number of equivalents of a solute per liter of solution. In this case, the 10 N NaOH solution contains 10 equivalents of NaOH per liter of solution.

To convert from normality to moles, we need to use the following equation:
moles = normality * liters of solution

In this problem, we have 1 ml of 10 N NaOH, which is equivalent to 0.001 liters of solution. Plugging this into the equation, we get:
moles = 10 N * 0.001 L = 0.01 mol OH

So, the answer to the number of moles of OH in 1 ml of 10 N NaOH is 0.01 mol. This means that if 1 ml of 10 N NaOH is added to a liter of the buffer, it will contribute 0.01 mol of OH to the solution, which will affect the pH according to the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. I hope this helps with your problem!

1. What is a mole and why is it used in chemistry?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. It is used because it allows scientists to accurately measure and compare the number of particles in different substances.

2. How do you convert grams to moles?

To convert grams to moles, you need to know the molar mass of the substance. Then, divide the given mass in grams by the molar mass to get the number of moles.

3. What is the formula for converting from moles to molecules?

The formula for converting from moles to molecules is: Number of moles x Avogadro's number = Number of molecules.

4. Can you convert from moles to liters?

No, you cannot directly convert from moles to liters. However, if you know the volume and molarity of a substance, you can use the formula moles = molarity x volume (in liters) to find the number of moles.

5. Are there any other units that can be converted into moles?

Yes, there are several other units that can be converted into moles, such as millimoles, micromoles, and nanomoles. These are all multiples or fractions of a mole and are commonly used in scientific calculations.