Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert wood burning to electric?

1. Mar 6, 2004 #1
    This may be a long shot, but here goes...

Does anyone know of a way to convert a cast iron wood burning stove to electric. It seems possible since you can replace elements and burners on normal stoves. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2004 #2
    The best way to effect a conversion like this is to sell the cast iron one through an antique dealer and use the money to buy an electric.

Why on earth would you want to do such a horrible thing to a wonderful antique?

4. Mar 7, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or, if you must, at least switch to gas instead of switching to electric.

5. Mar 7, 2004 #4
    Zoobyshoe said -
    "The best way to effect a conversion like this is to sell the cast iron one through an antique dealer and use the money to buy an electric. Why on earth would you want to do such a horrible thing to a wonderful antique?"

Well, we have several of the stoves. And yes, they are wonderful antiques. MY mother in law is having a country type old time house being built. She loves antiques and would love to put one of her stoves in there to use. She does not want to use a wood burning stove, and the commercial gas/electric stoves that are modeled after antiques are quite expensive. So, the next best thing would be to convert a stove she already has to gas or electric. Normally, we both would agree with you that messing up a beautiful antique like that is horrible; however, given our situation what anyone things may be horrible about it - it completely and totally irrelevant.

Regards,
    Jeremy

6. Mar 7, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to buy a counter top stove then have a hole cut to fit in the top of the wood stove. My mom used to have a counter top range that had the controls in the hood, this would be ideal for you.
    Perhaps you could find an independent oven for mounting else where.

Getting the hole cut into the top will require a welding shop. I think cleaning the old fire chamber will be quite a task but once done you may have a very nice arrangement.

7. Mar 7, 2004 #6
    Thanks, thats a great idea.

Jeremy

8. Mar 8, 2004 #7

kat

I think it would be possible to modify your woodstove fairly easily by gutting an old electrice stove and instaling it inside the old woodstove. I don't think it's neccesary to cut the top and weld an countertop unit into it. I think it would be hard to do ut that way and preserve the integrity of the stove. In other words ...it seems to me that it would be tacky/ugly. Sorry, just my opinion. It seems to me that you could weld supports under the rim on the stove top and set the tray and heating element within that, running the electrical wiring out the back. I personally prefer to cook on gas but..if you're going to try this with gas you'd better use someone who's qualified to do so as it would be far more dangerous then modifying with electric. Changing the oven over to electric or gas could be easy...or difficult..a lot depends on the model of stove. What model are you dealing with? is it possible to create some sort of hinged front using the decorative edging and place your knobs under that?
    Again, do you have a photo or a model description? there is such a great variance between different stove models.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?