Copy Music CD: Free & Easy Guide

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a reliable freeware for copying music CDs. The individual mentions trying BurnAware but is hesitant to download anything due to safety concerns. Other members suggest using Windows Media Player, iTunes, or a freeware ISO copy program from a reliable source. The legality of ripping music and using FM transmitters is also discussed.
yungman
Hi

I need to find a reliable freeware to copy music CD. I know it's not as simple as before that just copy, I have to rip it. I did it once with BurnAware, but this time when I try to download, it prompted me to download drivers and others, I did not proceed. I just want to find a way to copy CD.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can find this info easily via google search for your particular operating system.

jedishrfu said:
You can find this info easily via google search for your particular operating system.
Yes, but they all want me to download something. I don't know which one is safe. That's why I come here to get suggestion.

It is just my opinion, but ripping music and safe computing do not go together.

I practice safe computing first by restricting the things I try to do and the places I go on the internet.

There are numerous small apps which can rip the content off of any kind of optical disc and produce an iso file,
then you can use the iso file to burn copies of the original disk.
It's a long time since I did this so I won't recommend anything in particular, but google for 'freeware iso copy'.
You'll see many possibilities, but I'd be inclined to get one from Sourceforge or another freeware repository.
Stuff from those sources is usually free of additional content that you don't need, embedded adware and so on.

Likes Nik_2213
I use dBpowerAmp. They want a small sum of money, but it is absolutely worth it.

As an iPhone users, iTunes is a great app to import music from CD.

Windows Media Player (on Windows 10) will definitely rip a CD for you and create mp3 files for each track.

Someone implied this is criminal, but it is not UNLESS you subsequently share the ripped files out to the world. But for private use on your own devices, it is entirely legal, and frankly sensible. Physical CD's are so yesterday.

If you have an old car without a CD player, BTW, there are little cheap devices you can buy to use the car radio to play you mp3 files off your phone. Very clever. It uses a radio frequency that you can choose, and powers itself from the cig. lighter socket. Then Bluetooth to your phone or tablet.

Likes davenn
harborsparrow said:
If you have an old car without a CD player, BTW, there are little cheap devices you can buy to use the car radio to play you mp3 files off your phone. Very clever. It uses a radio frequency that you can choose, and powers itself from the cig. lighter socket. Then Bluetooth to your phone or tablet.
Note that this amounts to operating you own FM station and that is is illegal in many countries if you don't have a public broadcasting license. A line jack is preferable. If your car stereo is as old as mine there are dummy cassette tape adapters that do the same thing.

glappkaeft said:
Note that this amounts to operating you own FM station and that is is illegal in many countries if you don't have a public broadcasting license.
Definitely one needs to be aware of his/her country's laws regarding low-power radio transmitters. In the US:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information
Unlicensed operation on the AM and FM radio broadcast bands is permitted for some extremely low powered devices covered under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. On FM frequencies, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters). See 47 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Section 15.239, and the July 24, 1991 Public Notice Opens a New Window. (still in effect). On the AM broadcast band, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters). See 47 CFR Sections 15.207, 15.209, 15.219, and 15.221. These devices must accept any interference caused by any other operation, which may further limit the effective service range.

Likes davenn
glappkaeft said:
Note that this amounts to operating you own FM station and that is is illegal in many countries if you don't have a public broadcasting license.

I would suggest you are being a bit overly critical :wink::biggrin:
These units are extremely low power and are legal in probably 99% of countries because of that low power rating
They do work quite well and the signal doesn't go more than a metre or so

but, for the fun of it, show me a country or 3 that they are illegal in ?Dave

davenn said:
I would suggest you are being a bit overly critical :wink::biggrin:
These units are extremely low power and are legal in probably 99% of countries because of that low power rating
They do work quite well and the signal doesn't go more than a metre or so

but, for the fun of it, show me a country or 3 that they are illegal in ?

That's so fun I won't do it without getting paid good consultancy rates but I give you North Korea for free (there is not even poor lists about the legality of low power FM transmitters online). I'm from Sweden and until EU directives promoted a change relevant authorities where completely humorless when it came to unlicensed radio broad casts. Before 2006-2008 (depending on country) they where definitely illegal in most EU countries (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6177820.stm).

Garmin, that can pay real lawyers real money, says this about the low power FM adapter built into some of their products:
There are certain areas in Europe that you can use the FM transmitter feature. There are other locations that it is illegal due to frequency restrictions. You must check the local regulations in all European countries in which you intend to use the FM transmitter to ensure its legality. You accept full responsibility for complying with all such laws and regulations applicable in your particular country of operation.

glappkaeft said:
I give you North Korea for free

Nth Korea and any other dictatorship run country dosen't count as almost all forms of non gov. controlled fun are banned
You are barely allowed to breathe there without permission :-p

If you get an iSO file ,it would be easy to burn it to a CD.

1. How do I copy a music CD for free?

To copy a music CD for free, you will need a computer with a CD/DVD drive, blank CDs, and free CD burning software such as iTunes or Windows Media Player. Simply insert the CD you want to copy into your computer's CD drive, open the CD burning software, and follow the prompts to create a duplicate copy of the CD.

2. Is it legal to copy music CDs for personal use?

In most countries, it is legal to make a personal backup copy of a music CD for personal use. However, it is not legal to distribute or sell these copies without permission from the copyright holder.

3. How long does it take to copy a music CD?

The time it takes to copy a music CD will vary depending on the speed of your computer's CD drive and the size of the CD. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

4. Can I copy a copy-protected music CD?

It is possible to copy a copy-protected music CD, but it may require special software or methods. Keep in mind that it may also be illegal to bypass copy protection measures.

5. How do I ensure the copied CD sounds the same as the original?

To ensure the copied CD sounds the same as the original, make sure to use high-quality blank CDs and check the settings on your CD burning software to match the original CD's format. It may also help to listen to both the original and copied CD to compare the sound quality.