1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to count molecules and determine density, partial pressure and total pressure?

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    How to count molecules and determine density, partial pressure and total pressure???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider three identical boxes each containing a different mixture of O2 and N2. In box #1 are 3 molecules of O2 and 7 molecules of N2. In box #2 are 1 molecule of O2 and 2 molecules of N2. In box #3 are 10 molecules of O2 and 3 molecules of N2. If temperature and volume for all three samples are the same, rank them (use "less than," "greater than," or equal symbols; 1< 2 < 3 or 2 > 1 = 3 with respect to:

a) total pressure

b)partial pressure of nitrogen

c)density

2. Relevant equations

My attempt is according to counting the number of molecules is

a) total pressure is 2 < 1 < 3

b) partial pressure is 2 < 3 < 1

c)density is 2 < 1 < 3

I want to just make sure and compare with someone if I am correct and if not please explain how to determine this thank you.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?