1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to cram physics

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    is there a way i could cram physics definitions and concepts.i know that i have to understand and learn but in my school we are asked to write exactly the textbook words just like a poetry or something.only if we write each and every in the textbook we are given good grades otherwise they are failing us in the examination.if we fail then we have to waste a year by studying again.

the same thing goes with the hand writing as well.even if it is understandable but not neat no marks are awarded for that answer.in short we must write exactly as in the text book and draw the exact diagrams if necessary neatly and the problems too must be done only in the textbook way and not in any other method.so everything has to be from the text book and no changing even 1 or 2 words even if they are grammatically and scientifically correct and make sense.

the only way is to cram the whole textbook.but it is too vast.have you guys memorized a book like this.if yes please give me some tips and strategies.

all the questions are only from the textbook.the worst part is that the ones who dont understand and cram everything are considered brilliant here.the same goes to chemistry and other science subjects as well

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2
    Flash cards can really help with memorizing terms and definition.

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wow. That is just ..... sad!

And we wonder why so many students are turned off by physics.

Zz.

5. Feb 14, 2014 #4
    This literally sounds like a nightmare to me. Can I ask what is your level in school and/or the country you are from?

6. Feb 14, 2014 #5
    it is high school 12th grade physics.we learn electronics,optics,electricity,manetism and mechanics

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6
    You two (Zz and jbrussel) sound surprised. I am taking physics in high school (I am studying physics by myself on the side) and it's a similar situation every where. The OP's school seems a bit unorthodox, but most math and science subjects at school are equivalent to memorizing formulas and knowing how to plug the numbers it.

smart_worker, if that is the case, then I presume you have no choice other then just memorize. I can suggest just memorizing the formulas and do some application problems. But the best thing you can do is get a good text book and actually work on understanding the subject.

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The plug-and-chug I know of and can semi-understand why. The memorization and regurgitation of definitions word-for-word is what I find puzzling.

Zz.

9. Feb 14, 2014 #8
    all the questions asked in the exam are 100% form the book and directly.all the self evaluation questions are provided answers at the end of the textbook.the homework they give us is just copying the textbook problems.

so no use of doing any additional problems and buying another book

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. Feb 14, 2014 #9
    science is now a literature

11. Feb 14, 2014 #10
    When I was in high school 10 yers ago this was the standard. Science classes in 6th grade were interesting but from grade 7 to 12 it was all memorization and copying things out of a book.

12. Feb 15, 2014 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as a matter of interest, what are the author and title of the physics textbook?

13. Feb 15, 2014 #12

adjacent

Gold Member

What you have to do is carefully learn what the methods of different teachers are(I mean different teachers may give marks differently.That's how it is.).I don't think you should copy-paste all of the book into the brain.Ask the teachers about how they give marks.(You may get a tip)

Physics equations formulas etc are not so hard to learn but they are hard to just rote- memorize.Understanding it will automatically get itself copied to the brain.

14. Feb 16, 2014 #13
    name is "physics 12"

education system here is different.it is not 1 author who had wrote this book but a group of them.

actually practicals are also in same condition.you dont do any experiment you just simply cram and write things down.

for instance if you are working with a circuit in which you need to find the resistance using ohm's law you need not take any reading you just simply write the crammed values that you already got when you did before the exam

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. Feb 16, 2014 #14
    education system here is different.you write an exam at a different school.the papers are corrected at another different school anywhere in the state

16. Feb 16, 2014 #15

adjacent

Gold Member

Still ask the teacher.He/she may know about the general marking scheme.

17. Feb 16, 2014 #16
    Memorising formulas is fine, indeed an easy way to memorise laws, like Newton's laws of motion.

Memorising the exact wording in textbooks is ridiculous - your teacher cannot be a good teacher if he is asking you to do that. Tell your parents and get them to complain to the headmaster or board of governors.

18. Feb 16, 2014 #17
    ha ha ';;;lol:rofl: the education system here is different.all the schools follow this process

well nothing can be done

19. Feb 16, 2014 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Smart_worker, unless you are from North Korea, odds are that you are not the first person here from your country. Yet you are the first person to say your entire country does things this way. Why might that be?

20. Feb 16, 2014 #19
    I also want to know, where are you from actually?

21. Feb 17, 2014 #20
    :tongue:
    i am not saying the entire country does this.the country has different educational boards.each board has its own unique way of training students.each state follow different educational board.

one cannot switch over from one board to another in grade 12

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook