How Can I Create 3D Vectors Based on Magnitude and Polar Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is about visualizing data that includes 2D polar coordinates and magnitude for stress values in a 3D manner to represent a pipe. There is a need for help in transforming the 2D information into 3D coordinates and plotting them. One suggestion is to use the radius of the pipe and the 2D coordinates to create 3D coordinates, with stress magnitudes indicated by color. Another suggestion is to plot the data as a graph in rectangular coordinates, with the 2D coordinates representing the stress magnitude and direction. There is also discussion about calculating a vector in the same plane as the 2D coordinates and using it to determine the equation of the plane and the Cartesian coordinates for the 3
kevdoig
I'm tring to visualise some data i have a need a little help.
The format of the data is a magnitude and 2d polar co-ordinates of recorded stress values.
These readings must be visualised in a 3D manner representing a pipe. I can generate the start coordinates for each vector, but as each is on a 2D plane, i don't know how to create 3D vectors for these from only the magnitude and a set of polar co-ordinates, given there the only known 3D information is the start point of each vector.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Kev

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume the 2-d coordinates are meant to wrap the outside of the pipe? If the "start point" is in the center of one part of the pipe, then probably the 3-d coordinates, with the pipe axis running along the z axis, are something like [tex](R \cdot cos(\theta), R \cdot sin(\theta), r)[/tex]
where r and [tex]\theta[/tex] are from your 2-d coordinates and R is the radius of the pipe.

If you did this then the stress magnitudes would have to be indicated by a color. Maybe you should just visualize in rectangular coordinates as a graph over the plane, where the vertical coordinate is the stress magnitude and you treat [tex]\theta[/tex] as your y-coordinate and r as your x-coordinate.

The 3D co-ordinates are the dimensions of the pipe, the 2d information is a magnitude and a 0-180degree reading for stress values. This must be altered to allow a 3d visualisation as part of my project.

to clarify here is an example of the data i will have available:

3d-co-ordinates(location) magnitude of force direction

(1,1,1) 500 70degrees
(-1,-1,-1) 740 34degrees

the numbers are obviously just examples, but this will be the information i have for each point. I really just need to know how to transform the direction/magnitude vector into 3 to plot. Sorry if my last posts were unclear

am now working on the assumption that i can calculate a vector which is on the same plane as the 2d point (as for the plane will cross the centre of the pipe, and point in question, both of which i will have 3D points for), calculate the equation of the plane, and then put the point that i need in 3d into this equation to get the cartesian co-ordinates. Does this sound correct (or at least feasible).
If so can somebody suggest how i can get the plane normal from a vector and a point on the plane, as i cannot quit understand that much yet... or tell me I'm way off the mark with this idea!

What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

How do you create a 3D vector?

To create a 3D vector, you need to specify its three components: x, y, and z. These components represent the magnitude of the vector in each direction. For example, a vector with x=2, y=3, and z=4 would have a magnitude of 5 units (sqrt(2^2+3^2+4^2)) and would point in the direction of (2,3,4) in three-dimensional space.

What is the difference between a 3D vector and a 2D vector?

A 3D vector has three components (x, y, and z) while a 2D vector has only two components (x and y). This means that a 3D vector can represent a physical quantity in three-dimensional space, while a 2D vector can only represent it in two-dimensional space.

Can you perform mathematical operations on 3D vectors?

Yes, you can perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication on 3D vectors. These operations follow the same rules as those used for 2D vectors.

How are 3D vectors used in science?

3D vectors are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement, and are essential in solving complex mathematical problems and analyzing data.