Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Create a UFO Hoax

1. Aug 23, 2003 #1
    This fun site suggests several
    ways to hoax a UFO, and also relates how a couple of unintentional hoaxes came about.
    Rudimentary instructions on making
    a crop circle, as well.

PGG: Faking UFOs
    Address:http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~vdmeulen/deeper/Articles/UFOfake.html Changed:9:27 AM on Sunday, April 16, 2000

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Zooby,
    I posted this to the debunking Napster also.

This does not close the thread.

I have been sooooo tempted to do something like this just to create a little test group of my own. Or course ethics prevent me from doing so...but it would be fun!
  4. Aug 23, 2003 #3
    I never told you about the time
    I used to work at a restaurant, and one evening when we were closing I went out the back to
    dump trash in the alley, and saw
    a flock of green, luminous lights
    hovering in the sky.

After staring in disbelief I ran
    and got the owner. At first he, too, was amazed, but then he re-
    cognized them as clear tinted
    plastic balloons that had some
    light source like a penlight in

The Superbowl was going on at the
    time an he figured these were
    some result of some celebration
    of it nearby.

5. Aug 23, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think I have ever seen anything that qualifies as unexplainable. I once did see something fly right over our heads [a friend and myself] that was very strange, and completely silent. However, we were near Beale AFB in Sacramento Ca. Also, this thing did nothing dramatic; it just crept along with an occasional change in direction. I am convinced this was an early test of stealth blimp technology [1979].

I have seen a few other strange things that got me a little worked up at the time, but at the end of the day I have never felt that anything seen was potentially incredible in its origins. I am supposed to go see some real UFOs soon. A famous hot spot exists not far from my home. About ten news crews have been there and have come away with video of alleged strange lights in the sky. Being located in the heart of the highly [volcanically] active Cascade mountain range, the skeptic in me expects this hot spot activity to be an example of earthquake lights. I also think a guy local to the area is capitalizing on this with a new age cult following. It is noteworthy that this is also located near a Native American Reservation. The "natives" have stories about these lights going back hundreds of years. I must admit to being just a little hopeful…
  6. Aug 23, 2003 #5
    Earthquake lights are a contro-
    versial subject in and of them-
    selves, aren't they? I would be
    fascinated to see this phenomenon,
    and videotape it, for its own

If the Native Americans have been
    seeing the lights for hundreds of
    years it may be akin to the Brown-
    sville (?) lights in New Mexico(?)
    which appear frequently enough
    that the state put a plaque up at
    the spot of the road from which
    they're often visible.

I've seen video of them in a doc-
    umentary which included meterolog-
    ists who were invited to try and
    explain them. They definitly don't
    seem to be craft but no one really
    had a clue about a solid explana-
  7. Aug 24, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is my understanding also - that they are controversial. However this is still used to explain many UFO sightings. Still, just like ball lightning, they are increasingly accepted as real but without a complete explanation. I just assume that they do exist.

There is good reason to expect something. Really this seems to be almost beyond doubt. The problem here is that I have no continuity of good evidence. We have reputable sources with footage of something bright flying around, but nothing that can be identified. Then we find many claims of direct observations of structured objects that are responsible for the lights observed, but no good videos. Obviously, as described, these objects would be nothing familiar in the earthly sense.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  8. Aug 31, 2003 #7

I found this interesting list of
    patents granted to people for
    disc shaped flying machines. It
    seems to go all the way back to

In order to be granted a patent
    the thing has to work in theory.
    Maybe some of these inventor's
    test flights account for UFO

US Patents: Wingless aerodynes, disc aircraft, lenticular airplanes, &c...
  9. Aug 31, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I have seen pictures of some of these retrieved by the FBI. There are several photos of one in the FBI files - it is too bad that you don't have pdf abilities. They are absolutely known to account for many UFO sightings...of course not the more interesting examples. These minor episodes are pretty easily identified and dismissed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?