Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to cure computing phobia!

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    I've noticed more and more that I go to absurd lengths to avoid computing things. Everything from finding derivatives to solving integrals to simplifying expressions I've been doing on a computer for the past couple of years, and it's gotten so bad that I don't even attempt to do the calculations myself if there isn't a computer nearby. I think I've developed a computing phobia. I was writing a lab report today and spent 2 hours avoiding plugging numbers into the equations because it sounded like such dismal work to me! I especially hate ugly equations with lots of terms like hydrogen or Landau level wave functions.

I didn't used to be this way - I used to LOVE computing things when I was younger and hadn't yet reached the point where calculators were allowed in school.

Has anyone else ever contracted computing phobia and gotten over it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2
    I have the same problem with calculations that seem boring to me, like basic additions or
    multiplications of two lenghty numbers. I usually find myself using a calculator :)

However I prefer to perform algebraic manipulations, or evaluate derivatives and integrals with paper and pen, especially those that are tricky and cannot be solved mechanically. It forces your creativity to stay active.

I personally think there is nothing too wrong using a computer for just plugging numbers into a complicated (perhaps multivariable) function.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook