How to deal with a circular light boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in applying boundary conditions to linear components of the electric field. The participants also discuss the expected results for part b and the errors in their current answers. They mention the importance of understanding boundary conditions and the geometry of the problem. The conversation also touches on circularly polarized light and how it can be represented using linear combinations of perpendicular and parallel components. The solution for the two incident perpendicular linear polarizations is discussed and the need to solve for ratios. The importance of understanding the literature and solving for the ratios using the scattered cases is also mentioned. It is suggested to consult textbooks such as Griffiths and Jackson for a complete understanding of the problem.
Othman0111
Homework Statement
Calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients as functions of the incident angle for right-handed circularly polarized light.

Are they the same or different for left-handed circularly polarized light?
Relevant Equations
included
Hi everyone,

in the attached file I tried to find the transmitted and the reflected coefficients.

I ran into trouble applying the boundary conditions to the linear components of the electric field.

Check the outlined boxes and see if they make sense.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mathcha.pdf
    659.3 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
You realize they should sum to 1 ( R+T=1) ? Also what do you expect for part b?

hutchphd said:
You realize they should sum to 1 ( R+T=1) ? Also what do you expect for part b?
I'm sure my answer is not correct because of the boundary conditions, they don't make any sense. For part b I think they are the same.

Othman0111 said:
I'm sure my answer is not correct because of the boundary conditions, they don't make any sense. For part b I think they are the same.
What about the boundary conditions isn't sensible? In particular there are conditions on the in- plane (parallel) and normal (perpendicular) components of E and B at the surface.. Have you just made an error you can't find or is it worse? I'll go through it if necessary (but not quite yet!)
Wait I just looked. Why do you say k⋅z is 0?

This is a nontrivial effort but quite important to understand. It is done (more or less completely) in every undergrad EM text. (I like Griffiths). Also I think you don't have the geometry quite correct in your head. Take another look and get back.

hutchphd said:
What about the boundary conditions isn't sensible? In particular there are conditions on the in- plane (parallel) and normal (perpendicular) components of E and B at the surface.. Have you just made an error you can't find or is it worse? I'll go through it if necessary (but not quite yet!)
Wait I just looked. Why do you say k⋅z is 0?

Because the plane of the medium is at z=0.
Something about the first boundary condition (D1 = D2) I don't have two equations (Ex and Ey) I only have one!

hutchphd said:
This is a nontrivial effort but quite important to understand. It is done (more or less completely) in every undergrad EM text. (I like Griffiths). Also I think you don't have the geometry quite correct in your head. Take another look and get back.
I looked through Griffiths and Jackson and (4+ hours of searching the internet) nobody has worked the boundary conditions for a right-handed circularly polarized light between two mediums! All that I found is working the linear E field as two cases (perpendicular and parallel)
If you find any please send me a link. Thanks

But if you have the solution for the two incident perpendicular linear polarizations, then each circular incident polarization is just linear combination of the two and all the resultant scattered amplitudes (with phase ) are the same linear combination. The coefficients R and T are mod squared and so they need to be worked from these new amplitudes.
How do we write down circular polarized light?

hutchphd said:
But if you have the solution for the two incident perpendicular linear polarizations, then each circular incident polarization is just linear combination of the two and all the resultant scattered amplitudes (with phase ) are the same linear combination. The coefficients R and T are mod squared and so they need to be worked from these new amplitudes.
How do we write down circular polarized light?

The right cricular one
## \displaystyle \overrightarrow{E_{R}} \ =E_{0} \ \left(\hat{x} -i\hat{y}\right) \ e^{i\left(\vec{k} .\vec{z} -\omega t\right)} \ ##

The left circular one
## \overrightarrow{E_{L}} \ =\ E_{0} \ \left(\hat{x} +i\hat{y}\right) \ e^{i\left(\vec{k} .\vec{z} -\omega t\right)} ##

The y componenet is 90 degree out of phase with x component.

Exactly. So x can represent the ⊥ direction and y the || (or however you want to set it up to match your literature) . Shamelessly copy their results for transmitted and reflected waves for the ⊥ and || cases (be sure you understand what they did !). Form the same linear combination for the two scattered cases. Solve for the ratios you need.
Does Jackson do the whole thing? I think my ancient green one (1st ed) has it all worked out for linear polarizations..

hutchphd said:
Exactly. So x can represent the ⊥ direction and y the || (or however you want to set it up to match your literature) . Shamelessly copy their results for transmitted and reflected waves for the ⊥ and || cases (be sure you understand what they did !). Form the same linear combination for the two scattered cases. Solve for the ratios you need.
Does Jackson do the whole thing? I think my ancient green one (1st ed) has it all worked out for linear polarizations..

That what I did. But sadly the professor said it is wrong! Jackson Did the in-phase waves and in problem 7.29 I supposed to do it in out of phase situation (also didn't find a solution to this online).

I'm going to present this solution to the class tomorrow. What the worse can happen :)

Othman0111 said:
That what I did. But sadly the professor said it is wrong! Jackson Did the in-phase waves and in problem 7.29 I supposed to do it in out of phase situation (also didn't find a solution to this online).

I'm going to present this solution to the class tomorrow. What the worse can happen :)
I am busy today but did work it out earlier. It is easy (almost trivial when you see it) to show that for either RHCP or LHCP the result for R (and T) is the root mean square average of the R and Rll (and T) for the linear case. This is then self-evidently unitary. The details of the angles I chose not to look at! Did you get to this result? Have fun...

hutchphd said:
I am busy today but did work it out earlier. It is easy (almost trivial when you see it) to show that for either RHCP or LHCP the result for R (and T) is the root mean square average of the R and Rll (and T) for the linear case. This is then self-evidently unitary. The details of the angles I chose not to look at! Did you get to this result? Have fun...

I made the assumption when a circular light hit, it reflects elliptical and transmits elliptical. I'm going to continue and see where that will lead me. Thanks

eq1.jpg

Othman0111 said:
I made the assumption when a circular light hit, it reflects elliptical and transmits elliptical. I'm going to continue and see where that will lead me. Thanks
Yes that will get you there. Choose ll axis and ⊥ plane as basis directions for all waves. You can then use all the results in the books for linear polarization for your solutions directly. It should give the result I got. Also you need a normalization 1/√2 in your definitions of CP if you do the linear correspondences directly. I'm gone for the day...

I have completed all the work. Again, I'm not sure if it the right solution, but I'm going to present it tomorrow nonetheless.

Attachments

• EM HW10 P1 sol.pdf
    761.9 KB · Views: 245

1. What are circular light boundary conditions?

Circular light boundary conditions refer to a type of boundary condition in which light is confined within a circular region. This can occur in various optical systems, such as circular mirrors or lenses, where the light rays are constrained to propagate in a circular path.

2. How do circular light boundary conditions affect light propagation?

Circular light boundary conditions can affect light propagation in several ways. For example, they can cause light to form circular patterns or rings, known as diffraction patterns, when passing through a circular aperture. They can also lead to the formation of standing waves, which can affect the intensity and distribution of light within the circular region.

3. How do scientists deal with circular light boundary conditions in experiments?

Scientists use various techniques to deal with circular light boundary conditions in experiments. This can include using specialized optical components, such as circular mirrors or lenses, to manipulate the light path. They may also use mathematical models and simulations to predict and analyze the behavior of light under these conditions.

4. What are some applications of circular light boundary conditions?

Circular light boundary conditions have many applications in optics and photonics. They are commonly used in imaging systems, such as microscopes and telescopes, to control the path of light and improve image quality. They are also important in the design of optical fibers, lasers, and other photonic devices.

5. Are circular light boundary conditions limited to circular shapes?

No, circular light boundary conditions can also occur in other shapes, such as elliptical or annular regions. The principles and techniques for dealing with these conditions are similar to those for circular boundaries, but may require additional considerations due to the different shapes and resulting light patterns.