Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to deal with drones snooping on you

1. Oct 12, 2014 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Deploy a biotic anti-drone missile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2014 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Awesome. I liked the sound of the drone motors trying to recover attitude.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    For some reason part of me really likes that, for the time being at least, the birds are still the true masters of the skies, at least when it comes to being to objects that size. They can't do anything about our aeroplanes and helicopters, but they can still put up a fight against drones encroaching on their territory!

Although soon they'll lose that battle too...

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4
    Take your rifle, lock and load!

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5

Borek

That's what I will do next time I see a drone.

7. Oct 13, 2014 #6
    Better to pull an Iran and use cyberwarfare to steal the drone for personal use, or at least ransom.

8. Oct 13, 2014 #7
    I wonder if the hawk thinks it's prey or competition.

9. Oct 13, 2014 #8
    I thought drones were the things the military uses to attack targets remotely. Isn't that thing just a quadcopter with a camera?

10. Oct 13, 2014 #9
    I believe to be called a "drone" all that is necessary is that it have no onboard pilot. They are most often used for surveillance, but can be outfitted to explode on crashing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle

11. Oct 14, 2014 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Didn't expect a Bird of Prey to Cling-On. :D

Lame Trek pun, I know.

12. Oct 15, 2014 #11
    He was just mad the drone got in his territory and tried to kill it

13. Oct 21, 2014 #12
    http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/40000/0000/000/40023/40023.strip.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  14. Oct 21, 2014 #13

Ryan_m_b

As I understand things "drone" is essentially a colloquialism for UAV and a UAV is simply an aerial vehicle with no human pilot. So that can include everything from (mostly) autonomous military units to model aircraft. In my experience though when people say "drone" they mean something that is capable of some form of autonomous flight. In the case of quadcopters you can buy some types that essentially fly themselves with a human pilot telling them simple instructions (up/down/look over there/come back). This sounds similar to a model airplane but if you've ever flown one of the latter you'd definitely know the difference between giving instructions and remote piloting :) I've only done it once but it didn't end well....

15. Oct 21, 2014 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm going to go with competition.

To see it as prey, I'd think the bird would have to recognize it. i.e. new things are not prey unless they are prey.
    To see it as competition, the bird only has to recognize it as a threat i.e. new things are competition unless they are not competition.

Also, I'd expect that, if it thought it was prey, it would take up a position above the target to observe and attack from cover.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  16. Oct 23, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

It's probably just a previously undiscovered species of Kardashian who thought that the drone was being controlled by paparazzi.

17. Oct 24, 2014 #16

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It makes me wonder how this will affect Amazon's business plan for drone deliveries.

18. Oct 24, 2014 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Warning: A little foul language and a bit graphic, but .......... cool, IMO.

19. Oct 24, 2014 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite as violent but a nice idea.

20. Oct 24, 2014 #19
    Seems like people only started calling them drones after the military started using them and calling them drones. I guess it just sounds cooler. And that's probably why people started buying hummers. Then gas prices went up and I stopped seeing hummers on the road.

I had an RC plane once. I remember when I first flew it. That was also the last time I flew it. Or, rather, it was the last time it could fly.

21. Oct 25, 2014 #20
    How the hell is this stuff legal??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook