How to Deal with No Power in Areas of California

In summary: I imagine that folks in the SF Bay Area and other coastal areas will have more trouble with this.In summary, California is planning to turn off power to some areas to prevent wild fires. Some people will have to use generators or other methods to get power.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some areas of California are going to have their power turned off to prevent wild fires like they had last year. I don't live there, so lucky me. Its my understanding that some of the fires were started by wires blowing around and causing sparks in some way.
Apparently, the power may be off for up to a week.

I am interested in hearing how people might , other than using a generator, deal with this situation?
For me at least, I think my main concern would keeping things refrigerated.
Of course, preparation ahead of time would be best.

Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
For me at least, I think my main concern would keeping things refrigerated.
Generator...

I live in an area out in the country where there have been fairly frequent power outages, usually due to trees falling down, knocking out the power lines. Of the 12 or so families on my short street, I believe that all of them have generators.

The power lines are buried in my neighborhood, but outside the 'hood, the lines are on poles, so at times when the ground is especially soaked and it gets windy, the power often goes out. Same is true if we get a heavy, wet snowfall. I do have to say that the local electric utility has put a lot of effort into trimming tree branches that are close to the power lines, so there are not quite as many outages in the last few years as compared to when my wife and I first moved to our present home.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
I am interested in hearing how people might , other than using a generator, deal with this situation?
Here's a related thread in the EE forum about the reliability (or lack thereof) of various electrical distribution systems, which has contributed to these power shutoff events:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ability-around-the-world.978801/#post-6245257
I was in the middle of the recent shutdown event (I live in the foothills above San Jose in Norcal). I keep several deep-discharge batteries charged as part of my HAM radio emergency preparedness, and they can keep cell phones and portable devices charged nicely.

We are lucky in that we have gravity-fed water distribution up here, so our water service did not go out. We still filled several large buckets with water to use for washing and flushing if needed. We also have access to a large pool, so we could have used buckets to go get water for flushing if we needed it.

1570824713492.png

Likes BillTre

1. What causes power outages in California?

Power outages in California can be caused by a variety of factors, including extreme weather conditions such as wildfires or strong winds, equipment failure, or planned maintenance by utility companies.

2. How long do power outages typically last in California?

The duration of a power outage in California can vary depending on the cause and severity. In some cases, power may be restored within a few hours, while in others it may take days or even weeks.

3. What should I do if I experience a power outage in California?

If you experience a power outage in California, the first step is to stay calm and find a safe place to stay. It is also important to report the outage to your local utility company and follow any instructions they provide.

4. How can I prepare for a power outage in California?

To prepare for a power outage in California, it is recommended to have a basic emergency kit with essentials such as flashlights, batteries, non-perishable food, and water. It is also important to have a plan in place for communication and staying informed during an outage.

5. Can I use a generator during a power outage in California?

Using a generator during a power outage in California can be a temporary solution, but it is important to use it safely and follow all instructions provided by the manufacturer. It is also important to properly maintain and store the generator when not in use.