How to deal with pesky street recruiters

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker shares their experience of being approached by street recruiters multiple times a week. They often start with a compliment and then try to sell memberships for various causes. The speaker has tried different tactics to get rid of them, including saying they are not interested, but the recruiters are trained to overcome objections. The speaker is looking for a foolproof way to avoid these encounters.
Another strategy: being too busy to go shopping :grumpy: Since starting this thread, a month ago, I haven't had time to visit my bakery..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm feeling your pain Monique. I just had to explain that I wasn't interested for the second day in a row to the same door to door salesman. He was trying to engage me in a conversation about my alarm system. I wasn't nearly as polite today. I explained that I don't do business with unknown people who call or knock on my door and I certainly don't discuss my home security with them. He was still talking as I closed the door in his face. :grumpy:

Be a total jerk. It works for me down here in Raleigh with all the pan handlers. When they come up to me I just say austerely "Im not giving you any money" before they speak and then walk away.

I normally just keep walking past and say something like "sorry, no today" or "I'm in a rush". If you spot them far enough in the distance you can also just pull out your phone and fake a conversation.

Ask them to answer the following question:

"If you were on your way to something important like getting food, picking up your kids, going to work, sorting out your car getting fixed, paying your insurance, or making sure those bills are paid and someone walked up to you demanding that you should drop everything just to satisfy someones idea or righteousness, how would you react?"

You could also tell them that when people want something or want to do something, they can usually figure it out themselves rather than needing a constant tour guide to do it for them.

Ask them to lend you some money!:uhh:

Have some fun with it. You could curse them out, yell at them, or just completely ignore them. Ignoring them is the most fun, especially if they get all worked up and get angry at you for ignoring them.

This reminds me a bit of running into a Hare Krishna follower at the fair this year. Totally caught me off guard. I was surrounded by 15,000 hippies, who for 22 years had never bothered me for anything, and then, BAM! This person had the answer to everything, for a price... I ran away.

But I do have two complimentary books that I can send anyone, for free, not including shipping and handling... :rolleyes:

OmCheeto said:
This reminds me a bit of running into a Hare Krishna follower at the fair this year. Totally caught me off guard. I was surrounded by 15,000 hippies, who for 22 years had never bothered me for anything, and then, BAM! This person had the answer to everything, for a price... I ran away.

But I do have two complimentary books that I can send anyone, for free, not including shipping and handling... :rolleyes:

Where did you say that fair was?:devil: I used to pay those guys to quit beating the blasted drum.

Not that there is anything wrong about playing a drum.

http://krishnastore.com/mridanga-drum-tilak-h-krishna-1464.html

Last edited:
I usually wear a pair of headphones when I walk (either with music or just disconnected) which allows me to pretend I can't hear them.

If I am at home I just am very quiet and pretend I am not home until they go away.

I am not a people person.

OmCheeto said:

This reminded me of one time when I was stuck in an airport overnight waiting for a flight. I had finally figured out how to fall asleep across three very uncomfortable chairs with unmovable arms when some religious nut job decided that I needed to be woken up and told how I could be saved. I am not too polite when I don't get my sleep and I was very tired at that point. I told him that if he came near me again, I would kill him. I guess that I got the message across because he didn't come back. :devil:

Aero51 said:
Be a total jerk. It works for me down here in Raleigh with all the pan handlers. When they come up to me I just say austerely "Im not giving you any money" before they speak and then walk away.

Pretty much. No reason to make up an elaborate evacuation strategy. Just tell them no and then ignore them and keep walking.

Lisa! said:
Ask them to lend you some money!:uhh:
:thumbs:

I'm usually polite and just say "no thanks", but sometimes I say "que?" or "je ne comprends pas". Next time I think I will try using sign language. This is "no" in sign language:

no-post.png

I hang up after I hear the hiss of a teleprompter. On the street, I simply ignore them. Trust me, they will get the message. Problem solved.

<h2>1. How do I politely decline a street recruiter's offer?</h2><p>The best way to decline a street recruiter's offer is to simply say "no, thank you" with a smile and continue walking. You do not owe them an explanation or engage in a conversation if you are not interested.</p><h2>2. What should I do if a street recruiter becomes aggressive or persistent?</h2><p>If a street recruiter becomes aggressive or persistent, it is important to remain calm and assertive. Politely but firmly tell them that you are not interested and continue walking. If they continue to bother you, do not be afraid to walk away or seek help from nearby authorities.</p><h2>3. Is it rude to ignore street recruiters completely?</h2><p>Ignoring street recruiters is not necessarily rude, as they are used to people declining their offers. However, it is always best to be polite and acknowledge their presence before declining their offer.</p><h2>4. How can I avoid being approached by street recruiters?</h2><p>To avoid being approached by street recruiters, you can try to avoid areas where they are known to be, such as busy shopping streets or tourist attractions. You can also wear headphones or sunglasses to signal that you do not want to be approached.</p><h2>5. Are street recruiters legitimate job opportunities?</h2><p>While some street recruiters may offer legitimate job opportunities, it is important to be cautious and do your research before giving out any personal information or agreeing to an interview. It is always best to be wary of unsolicited job offers and to thoroughly research the company before proceeding.</p>

1. How do I politely decline a street recruiter's offer?

The best way to decline a street recruiter's offer is to simply say "no, thank you" with a smile and continue walking. You do not owe them an explanation or engage in a conversation if you are not interested.

2. What should I do if a street recruiter becomes aggressive or persistent?

If a street recruiter becomes aggressive or persistent, it is important to remain calm and assertive. Politely but firmly tell them that you are not interested and continue walking. If they continue to bother you, do not be afraid to walk away or seek help from nearby authorities.

3. Is it rude to ignore street recruiters completely?

Ignoring street recruiters is not necessarily rude, as they are used to people declining their offers. However, it is always best to be polite and acknowledge their presence before declining their offer.

4. How can I avoid being approached by street recruiters?

To avoid being approached by street recruiters, you can try to avoid areas where they are known to be, such as busy shopping streets or tourist attractions. You can also wear headphones or sunglasses to signal that you do not want to be approached.

5. Are street recruiters legitimate job opportunities?

While some street recruiters may offer legitimate job opportunities, it is important to be cautious and do your research before giving out any personal information or agreeing to an interview. It is always best to be wary of unsolicited job offers and to thoroughly research the company before proceeding.