Addressing Superstition: A Scientific Approach

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of the end of the world in 2012, which is based on the end of the Mayan calendar and human tendency to create imaginary dangers. The original thread on this topic was deleted, possibly due to being started by a troll. However, the idea of 2012 doomsday is widespread and actively ignoring or deleting threads may not be the most effective approach to addressing it. The topic is also listed as a closed topic in the rules of the skeptics and debunking forum.
Andre
So I saw this thread inquiring about the doom fate of mankind in the year 2012, to which I prepared this answer:

No, 2012 is just the end of the Mayan calendar combined with the ineradicable human urge to create imaginary dangers like hell, chemtrails and future catastrophes to promote a herd reaction. Having a common threat promotes togetherness, but the human successrate of predicting future end of the word scenarios has been zilch so far.

But when I tried to post, the thread was gone. Perhaps that the poster was a troll, I don't know but I wonder if this is the best way to deal with superstition. I guess that a lot of decent but less educated people are struggling with questions like these and they may have needed a discussion between reason and superstition.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mayan calendar ends yes, I don't think it will mean the end of the world at all. Maybe the troll didnt think his way thru properly and only wanted to cause mayhem of his own. :D

Well, the 2012 doomsday notion is widespread and growing rapidly. Google 2012 doomsday and you'll have close to some 600,000 hits. Kids pick that up for true. And it's not going away by actively ignoring and deleting threads. Instead I have seen several signs of reliefs when arguing that it is all baloney.

PF is not a place for such speculation. This thread will just provide a platform for discussion of the original thread, which was deleted for a reason!

Perhaps I should add, this topic is on the "closed topics" list in the rules of the scepticism and debunking forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5929

Note also that in the closed topics list, a number of threads are linked that explain or debunk this claim and other closed topics.

The topics listed are approved by the entire staff and closed in all forums.

1. How can I stop believing in superstitions?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to stopping belief in superstitions, as it can be deeply ingrained in cultural and personal beliefs. However, some strategies that may help include educating yourself about the origins and scientific explanations of superstitions, questioning the evidence and logic behind them, and practicing critical thinking and rational decision making.

2. What is the harm in believing in superstitions?

Believing in superstitions can lead to irrational decision making and can be harmful if it causes people to rely on superstitions rather than evidence-based solutions. It can also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and biases, and can prevent individuals from taking control of their own lives by attributing success or failure to external forces rather than their own actions.

3. How do I deal with family members or friends who are superstitious?

It is important to approach this situation with empathy and respect for their beliefs. Instead of outright dismissing their superstitions, try engaging in open discussions and sharing your own perspective. You can also suggest alternative explanations or solutions based on scientific evidence, but ultimately it is up to the individual to make their own choices.

4. Are there any benefits to believing in superstitions?

Some studies suggest that believing in superstitions can provide a sense of control and comfort in uncertain situations. However, these benefits are temporary and can ultimately be harmful if they prevent individuals from seeking rational solutions or cause them to make decisions based on false beliefs.

5. How can I educate others about the dangers of superstitions?

One approach is to lead by example and make rational decisions based on evidence rather than superstitions. You can also share information and resources that explain the scientific explanations behind superstitions and the potential harms associated with them. It is important to approach these discussions with empathy and understanding rather than judgement or criticism.