1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to decide:MechE or ChemE

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    Hello all,
    I am a sophomore in college and I need to decide my college major now, as in the next two days.
    I have always been interested in Chemical Engineering, since I like chemistry and like to think about large-scale thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. I think it would be cool to work in bio-fuels or a waste-water treatment plant helping design/modify the treatment processes. I always enjoy chemistry.

I also think MechE is cool, and of course broad.
    I am interested in mechanical alternative energy like turbines for wind and water power, geothermal power and other stuff. I like to know how things work.

I don't mind either curriculum.
    What I don't want to do is end up doing process engineering for a company making Windex or paper or some product I am not interested in.... Like I said, biofuels would be interesting and environmentally important, and so would wastewater treatment, but I know it is hard to get into biofuels.

Any advice? I feel like chemistry and environmentally important chemical processes fascinate me but then I think of all the silly products I might have to help make, and I am discouraged from chemical engineering. I think it would be easier to get into alternative energy or green structures from MechE, especially since my school is highly ranked in Mechanical Engineering.

Any advice would be helpful.

I am leaning towards ChemE to pursue a biofuels career, and I can always get a masters in MechE somewhat easily and then help design mechanical stuff.
    But I am relatively depressed and feel that no matter what my decision will be, I will always wonder what I could have done with the other discipline and have regrets...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ultimately, you're going to have to decide.

With either degree, you probably won't have to worry about being geographically constrained. They're both highly marketable. I don't think I know of anyone who is unhappy with their ME degree. But I will say that I know lots of ChemEs who work (or used to work) as process engineers. Seems like it's kind a default job for many, but the money can be really good. And even if you do end up in a process engineer job, it's not like it's forever.

Regret is so hard to deal with! Which sounds worse to you: regretting something you did, or regretting something you didn't do?

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    Have you considered possibly studying to be a Civil Engineer (with Environmental Focus)? You can be involved in all of the areas you described at various levels.

It might be worth an honest look.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4
    Lisab - Thank you, I am definitely happy knowing there are good options either route. In regards to ChemE, I wouldn't mind process engineering, but I would want have an interesting process, not a big chemical company making a product that I don't support morally.

Mege - Thanks for the response. My school has no Civil, only an environmental major that is actually in the MechE deparement. I kinda figured that I would be better off doing either ChemE or MechE, not a hybrid of both. I feel that for serious engineering companies, I won't be hired as a process engineer or a turbine engineer with an environmentalE degree...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook