How to decide:MechE or ChemE

• Thread starter zachucsd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's struggle in deciding between a major in Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. They are interested in both fields, but have concerns about potential job opportunities and regrets. They also consider the option of studying Civil Engineering with an environmental focus. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on how to make the best decision.
zachucsd
Hello all,
I am a sophomore in college and I need to decide my college major now, as in the next two days.
I have always been interested in Chemical Engineering, since I like chemistry and like to think about large-scale thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. I think it would be cool to work in bio-fuels or a waste-water treatment plant helping design/modify the treatment processes. I always enjoy chemistry.

I also think MechE is cool, and of course broad.
I am interested in mechanical alternative energy like turbines for wind and water power, geothermal power and other stuff. I like to know how things work.

I don't mind either curriculum.
What I don't want to do is end up doing process engineering for a company making Windex or paper or some product I am not interested in... Like I said, biofuels would be interesting and environmentally important, and so would wastewater treatment, but I know it is hard to get into biofuels.

Any advice? I feel like chemistry and environmentally important chemical processes fascinate me but then I think of all the silly products I might have to help make, and I am discouraged from chemical engineering. I think it would be easier to get into alternative energy or green structures from MechE, especially since my school is highly ranked in Mechanical Engineering.

Any advice would be helpful.

I am leaning towards ChemE to pursue a biofuels career, and I can always get a masters in MechE somewhat easily and then help design mechanical stuff.
But I am relatively depressed and feel that no matter what my decision will be, I will always wonder what I could have done with the other discipline and have regrets...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultimately, you're going to have to decide.

With either degree, you probably won't have to worry about being geographically constrained. They're both highly marketable. I don't think I know of anyone who is unhappy with their ME degree. But I will say that I know lots of ChemEs who work (or used to work) as process engineers. Seems like it's kind a default job for many, but the money can be really good. And even if you do end up in a process engineer job, it's not like it's forever.

Regret is so hard to deal with! Which sounds worse to you: regretting something you did, or regretting something you didn't do?

Have you considered possibly studying to be a Civil Engineer (with Environmental Focus)? You can be involved in all of the areas you described at various levels.

It might be worth an honest look.

Lisab - Thank you, I am definitely happy knowing there are good options either route. In regards to ChemE, I wouldn't mind process engineering, but I would want have an interesting process, not a big chemical company making a product that I don't support morally.

Mege - Thanks for the response. My school has no Civil, only an environmental major that is actually in the MechE deparement. I kinda figured that I would be better off doing either ChemE or MechE, not a hybrid of both. I feel that for serious engineering companies, I won't be hired as a process engineer or a turbine engineer with an environmentalE degree...

I understand your dilemma and the pressure to make a decision about your college major in a short amount of time. My advice would be to not let the fear of potential regret hold you back from pursuing your interests and passions. Both Chemical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering have their own unique and important roles in creating a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly world. It's important to consider not only your interests but also your strengths and skills when deciding between the two fields.

If you have a strong interest in chemistry and large-scale processes, then Chemical Engineering may be the better fit for you. You mentioned your interest in biofuels and wastewater treatment, which are both important and growing areas in the field of Chemical Engineering. It's true that it may be difficult to break into the biofuels industry, but with a strong academic background and dedication, it is possible. And as you mentioned, you can always pursue a master's in Mechanical Engineering later on if you want to expand your skills and knowledge in that area.

On the other hand, if you have a strong interest in alternative energy and how things work, then Mechanical Engineering may be a better fit for you. As you mentioned, your school has a strong program in Mechanical Engineering, which may provide you with more opportunities and resources in that field. However, keep in mind that Mechanical Engineering also involves a lot of math and physics, so make sure you are comfortable with those subjects before making a decision.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a field that you are truly passionate about and will enjoy studying and working in. Don't let the fear of potential regret hold you back from pursuing your interests. With hard work and dedication, you can excel in either field and make a positive impact in the world. Good luck with your decision!

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering?

Mechanical Engineering (MechE) is a field that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices, such as engines, machines, and tools. Chemical Engineering (ChemE) is a field that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate chemical processes and systems.

Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both MechE and ChemE have excellent job prospects, with opportunities in a variety of industries such as manufacturing, energy, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. The job market for both fields is constantly growing and offers a high demand for skilled professionals.

What kind of skills do I need for each field?

MechE requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. ChemE requires a strong background in chemistry, physics, and advanced mathematics, as well as proficiency in computer modeling and data analysis.

Which field offers better salary potential?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers in 2020 was $90,160, while the median annual wage for chemical engineers was $108,540. However, salary potential can vary depending on factors such as job location, industry, and experience.

Can I switch between MechE and ChemE during my studies or career?

It is possible to switch between MechE and ChemE during your studies or career, as there is some overlap in coursework and skills. However, it may require additional coursework or training to transition between the two fields. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision.