1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to Define a Shape

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    Hello all,
    I am not too experienced with geometry. I am just curious whether it would be possible to define a shape based on variables.
    Say you have a simple relationship between volume and some variables. V=x+y. This tells you about the volume of a 3D object, however, it does not describe the shape of the object in question. How would you write a relationship that describes both a volume and a shape?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider a triangle on the number plane. If we are talking about the inside of the triangle together with its boundary then it is defined by three inequalities using a coordinate system. For instance the following defines the shape that is the triangle with corners at (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1)

$$(x\geq 0)\wedge (y\geq 0)\wedge (x+y\leq 1)$$

where ##\wedge## means 'and'.
    This is the intersection of three half-planes, bordered by the lines that, segments of which make up the three sides of the triangle.

We can take exactly the same approach on a general manifold in diff geom. We can define the n-dimensional equivalent of a n-polygon in an n-dimensional manifold as:

$$\left(\sum_{k=1}^n a_{1k}\leq b_1\right)\wedge .... \wedge \left(\sum_{k=1}^n a_{nk}\leq b_n\right)$$

This linear approach only works for linear-bounded shapes. Other inequalities are needed for curvilinear shapes, just as we use a different equation in 2D to define a circle.

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    Ah okay, that makes sense.
    Now I'm curious, what inequalities are needed to describe curvilinear shapes?

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The most famous one is ##x^2+y^2\leq 1##

6. Mar 29, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved, as this question has nothing to do with differential geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted