How to define change of angular momentum in non-isolated system?

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 38, part b) of a physics homework assignment, which involves calculating torque and angular momentum. The solution is provided in a PDF file, and the conversation reveals that mvL is angular momentum, not torque. The conversation also clarifies that if the ball were coming from the right side, mvL would be added instead, as the momentum being added to the system is in the same direction as its initial angular momentum.
DannyPhysika

Homework Statement

http://tycho.physics.wisc.edu/courses/phys201/fall06/Discussion/Disc14Solution.pdf

problem 38, part b)

Homework Equations

I final w final = I initial w initial

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the snowball is introducing a net torque and I know that torque = (force applied) x (distance from axis of rotation) (in this case). I am just unsure how the torque was calculated as mvL. I know L is the distance, but isn't mv the momentum of the ball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mvL is angular momentum, not torque. Angular momentum is defined as r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the momentum of the object. In this case, r is perpendicular to p, so it makes sense that angular momentum would be mvL.

ideasrule said:
mvL is angular momentum, not torque. Angular momentum is defined as r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the momentum of the object. In this case, r is perpendicular to p, so it makes sense that angular momentum would be mvL.

Ok that makes sense. If the ball were coming from the right side would we add mvL instead, because the momentum being added to the system is in the same direction of its initial angular momentum?

Yes, that's correct.

1. What is angular momentum and how is it defined?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How does angular momentum change in a non-isolated system?

In a non-isolated system, angular momentum can change due to external torques acting on the system or internal torques between different parts of the system. These changes can result in an increase or decrease in the system's overall angular momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating change in angular momentum?

The formula for calculating change in angular momentum is ΔL = IΔω, where ΔL is the change in angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and Δω is the change in angular velocity.

4. How is the principle of conservation of angular momentum applied in non-isolated systems?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. In a non-isolated system, external and internal torques may cause changes in individual objects' angular momenta, but the total angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

5. Can you give an example of a non-isolated system where angular momentum changes?

One example of a non-isolated system where angular momentum changes is a spinning top. As the top spins, external forces such as friction and air resistance act on it, causing changes in its angular momentum. Additionally, internal torques between different parts of the top can also cause changes in its angular momentum.