How to deploy parachute after balloon pops

In summary: If you keep you balloon/payload within the FAA exempt specs, such as payload under 6 pounds, payload under the density limit, 50 pound break force on the payload line, etc. The flight is FAA exempt and you don't need a back up cut down system, radar reflector, FAA waiver, etc. You can just fly the darn thing!
XxZHALO13Xx
Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to post this under, but anyway. I am planning on sending a gopro around 100,000 feet up. When the balloon pops, I want it to eventually open a parachute and fall down to the ground safely. Although if the parachute opens right away, it could drift miles away from the launch site. What would be the best way to make the parachute open? Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Google altitude sensor? There are boards like this available...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/adafruit-bmp180-barometric-pressuretempaltitude-sensor-5v-ready-n55dq?gclid=CjwKEAiAuKy1BRCY5bTuvPeopXcSJAAq4OVsG91LU1QPef6LFA4hiLMJf27BB5uDyEzHKnrLED-t-RoCBXHw_wcB

Would need a micro and perhaps a servo as used on model aircraft to release the parachute.

Read this...

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/hab.htm

Has some comments on parachute size.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could put a gas sensor inside the balloon and fill it with the particular gas i.e. hydrogen, or draw a strip of conductive paint on the balloon.

How about a simple mechanical switch held open (or closed) by a weight. When the balloon pops the camera will be in free fall (weightless).

XxZHALO13Xx said:
Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to post this under, but anyway. I am planning on sending a gopro around 100,000 feet up. When the balloon pops, I want it to eventually open a parachute and fall down to the ground safely. Although if the parachute opens right away, it could drift miles away from the launch site. What would be the best way to make the parachute open? Thanks for your help
If it were me, I'd use a microcontroller with a GPS module and a steerable parachute to guide the vehicle back to the launch point. Why have to drive around looking for your payload? The balloon is going to drift a lot on its own, so using a steerable parachute to glide back to the launch point only makes sense, IMO... :smile:

Likes davenn
Since when did PF encourage dangerous activities?

To the OP: don’t even consider doing what you describe until you have obtained approval and authorization from the relevant regulatory authority. In the US that would be the FAA, in the UK it would be the CAA.

Since your aerial vehicle (balloon) will be operating out of line-of-sight it will, of course, be required to carry the relevant PSR reflectors and probably anti-collision lights, too. And in most parts of the world, everything above 10,000 feet is designated category C airspace. If you’re planning to fly your vehicle in cat. C airspace, then in most countries it will be required by law to carry a mode-C transponder. And to operate the mode-C you’ll need a GPS and a barometric altimeter.

If you ignore the rules and your GoPro ends up in the engine of a commercial airliner at 38,000 feet, you’ll need a spare thirty million or so lying around to pay compensation. And if it smashes through the cockpit of an airliner flying at 500MPH, killing hundreds of people, then I wouldn’t rate your chances of avoiding prison very highly.

In short, don’t fly anything above 10,000 feet unless you know the legal and regulatory landscape. Even below 10,000 feet you can still get into trouble. For example, did you know that if your balloon passes within a 30 mile radius of a primary airport in category-B airspace you’d also be committing a criminal offense?(At least in Europe, probably the same in the US.)

Likes gatopardos
Daz said:
To the OP: don’t even consider doing what you describe until you have obtained approval and authorization from the relevant regulatory authority. In the US that would be the FAA, in the UK it would be the CAA.
Good point. We've had threads here before about amateur high-altitude balloon flights, but I don't remember offhand what approvals are needed. Thanks for bringing up this aspect.

Do check with the FAA but the link I posted above says...

If you keep you balloon/payload within the FAA exempt specs, such as payload under 6 pounds, payload under the density limit, 50 pound break force on the payload line, etc. The flight is FAA exempt and you don't need a back up cut down system, radar reflector, FAA waiver, etc. You can just fly the darn thing!

Likes davenn
gatopardos said:
You could put a gas sensor inside the balloon and fill it with the particular gas i.e. hydrogen, or draw a strip of conductive paint on the balloon.

mrspeedybob said:
How about a simple mechanical switch held open (or closed) by a weight. When the balloon pops the camera will be in free fall (weightless).

Ok so both of these suggestion will tell the on board electronics that the balloon has popped but then what? The OP doesn't want to deploy the parachute immediately because it will drift a long way.

You can't safely use a timer to delay the opening. What happens if the balloon bursts at 50,000 ft instead of 100,000 ft ? The time delay might still be running when it smashes into the ground.

CWatters said:
...The OP doesn't want to deploy the parachute immediately because it will drift a long way.

Maybe.
A longer decent would mean more photos or video gets taken. That would mean more options available for whatever he's using it for. Having several times more raw material to work with may be worth a longer retrieval drive.

He seems quite clear in his OP.

Thanks to all who commented. I do know I will need to contact the FAA for this. But also, where I live there are roads and woods. I like what @berkeman said about being able to control the parachute. This would be very very useful. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this though. If you can, could you send me a pm and help me figure it out? Thanks

XxZHALO13Xx said:
I like what @berkeman said about being able to control the parachute.
I doubt a "steerable parachute" will make it all the way upwind, back to the lunch side, so you have to drive for miles anyway. Unless you plan to do this many times, the time you will spend on building and testing the steering will be more than the potential time saving during retrieval.

@A.T. That's also a good point. What's the farthest distance it could travel?

That depends on how fast it goes up and the wind speeds. Flights of >50 miles are possible...

CWatters said:
That depends on how fast it goes up and the wind speeds. Flights of >50 miles are possible...

Thanks, also. Can anyone help me out with a tracking device? What is a good way to be able to locate it after it lands?

Go-pros are light, I'm not a physicist but it will probably blow around with the parachute a lot. I suggest gps

XxZHALO13Xx said:
Thanks, also. Can anyone help me out with a tracking device? What is a good way to be able to locate it after it lands?
What has your reading indicated would be a good tracking mechanism? What research have you been doing on your own outside of asking questions in web forums?

Why a GoPro?

You can get a no-contract cell phone fairly cheap.
Put an app on it that will take pics or video and save to a cloud service over the cell phone network.
Put another app on it that will allow you to track it remotely.

Send it up with a balloon and parachute system. When it comes down, log on and see where it landed. If it winds up in the top of a tree or someplace inaccessible, you can still get the pics/video from the cloud service.

No pun intended on the "cloud" thing ;-)

mrspeedybob said:
Why a GoPro?

You can get a no-contract cell phone fairly cheap.
Put an app on it that will take pics or video and save to a cloud service over the cell phone network.
Put another app on it that will allow you to track it remotely.

Send it up with a balloon and parachute system. When it comes down, log on and see where it landed. If it winds up in the top of a tree or someplace inaccessible, you can still get the pics/video from the cloud service.

No pun intended on the "cloud" thing ;-)
Those cell phones will not capture a fraction of the image a go-pro will, if he is sending a big balloon up in the sky he might as well go the extra mile and buy a go-pro, I would hate to be him if he gets a hold of the video and it is garbage.
Even the Iphones wouldn't do the trick in this situation, a go-pro is necessary.

Based on the video below, I conclude that a Gopro can be dropped from nearly any height without a parachute and survive (maybe). At least the chance of survival won't increase much with a parachute.

That still leaves you with the tracking problem, but you can forget the parachute and simplify your project.

P.s. Be sure to watch the video to the end, it will make you smile.

anorlunda said:
I conclude that a Gopro can be dropped from nearly any height without a parachute and survive
The question is if you would like to get that falling camera on your head or car.

A.T. said:
The question is if you would like to get that falling camera on your head or car.
A very good point, but a small parachute might not mitigate that risk very much.

anorlunda said:
A very good point, but a small parachute might not mitigate that risk very much.
Right, which is why I think a parachute would be needed. I plan on putting it inside a Styrofoam container with a cut out for the lens of the gopro. I also want to include the GPS system which it seems like a phone would do. And a battery pack to power it all to make sure it lasts. Out of the box, I want to have a small parachute that will slow the fall but not completely blow it far away; also the weather balloon to carry it up there. I found this link helpful http://space.1337arts.com/hardware/comment-page-10#comments My question is how to slow the fall while not majorly changing how far it lands

You could use a collapsible Rogallo style wing, like an old 60's era hang glider, instead of a parachute. Spring load it to open when a solenoid activates or something like that. The advantage here is it has a frame and a direction of flight. if the prevailing winds at your launch site are west to east, for example, you can magnetize the cross bars so that the right side wants to point north, and the wing will want to fly west, into the wind.

mrspeedybob said:
You could use a collapsible Rogallo style wing, like an old 60's era hang glider, instead of a parachute. Spring load it to open when a solenoid activates or something like that. The advantage here is it has a frame and a direction of flight. if the prevailing winds at your launch site are west to east, for example, you can magnetize the cross bars so that the right side wants to point north, and the wing will want to fly west, into the wind.
That sounds cool, although it seems a little hard to set. What about making a parachute deploy about 500ft up? Would that be enough time to slow it down?

There is a lot on that link I posted earlier..

Including info on..

Why he thinks larger parachutes are better.
GPS solutions that don't rely on the phone network

Use a paper streamer (ribbon) to slow the descent and help find you capsule. Much simpler. Use air resistance to unfurl it.

Nuke said:
Use a paper streamer (ribbon) to slow the descent and help find you capsule. Much simpler. Use air resistance to unfurl it.
That's a great idea! I never thought of that, thanks! Now, to deploy it, should I put it inside the balloon coiled up? When the balloon pops it would deploy.

1. How does a parachute deploy after a balloon pops?

When a balloon pops, the sudden release of air creates a rapid downward motion. This motion triggers a mechanism in the parachute system, causing the parachute to deploy and slow down the descent of the object attached to it.

2. What type of parachute is typically used for deploying after a balloon pops?

The most commonly used parachute for deploying after a balloon pops is a pilot chute or drogue chute. This type of parachute is smaller and designed to deploy quickly, which is essential in this situation.

3. How is the parachute attached to the balloon before deployment?

The parachute is typically attached to the balloon using a release mechanism. This mechanism is triggered when the balloon pops, freeing the parachute to deploy.

4. Can a parachute be manually deployed after a balloon pops?

In some cases, a parachute can be manually deployed after a balloon pops. This usually requires a backup system or a manual release mechanism that can be activated by the user.

5. What factors affect the success of deploying a parachute after a balloon pops?

The success of deploying a parachute after a balloon pops depends on various factors, including the size and weight of the object attached to the parachute, the altitude at which the balloon pops, and the design and functionality of the parachute system.