Solve Derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) with respect to Z

• Thread starter innightmare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: He asks them to do the derivative of sin with respect to Z and the classmate gets confused because they don't understand what sin is and asks if he should be including the 2 in the equation. Casey explains that sin is the derivative of cos and includes the 2 in the equation.
innightmare

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) with respect to Z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is pie/2*sin(pie*Z)

Is this correct? I keep getting confused with whether or not I should involve the 2 or not of should just leaving it along and just focus on my angle, Z

Physics news on Phys.org
sin^2(pie*Z) is sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]z)?
If it is, Then can't you use the chain rule? which is power rule on the whole out side of the ( ) and then it by multiply by the derivatives of the inside of the ( ). because sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]z) is just the same as (sin([tex]\pi[/tex]z))[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex](\sin{x})^2 = \sin^{2}x[/tex]

yeah, so Use the chain rule. Look at it as (sinx)^2 because is easier if you look at it like this.

no pie is inside the paranthesis next to Z. I was thinking of doing the chain rule but wasnt sure. but its sin -square and the angle is pie next to Z

Is the answer sin over two *pie

[tex]\frac{d}{dz}\sin^{2}{(\pi Z)}[/tex]

innightmare said:
no pie is inside the paranthesis next to Z. I was thinking of doing the chain rule but wasnt sure. but its sin -square and the angle is pie next to Z

Is the answer sin over two *pie
no, chain rule?

hm..I believe the derivative of sin is cos. so the answer should be 2cos(pi*Z) * (Pi) or 2[tex]\pi[/tex]cos([tex]\pi[/tex]Z).

the first part is power rule and derivative of the Sin which is Cos. for the inside of the ( ), since it's product of a variable and a constant, we know that Pi is a number hence it a constant. So you take the dervitive of pi*Z and use the product rule:
it will be
Pi*1 + Z*(0)=Pi.

no.
chain rule.

>_> just do the derivative of x^2 with respect to x [x=sin(pi z)] (the deravative is 2x). After that multiply by the derivative of x with repect to z. d/dz (sin(pi z)) = pi cos(pi z).

and this is: 2 pi sin(pi z)cos(pi z) and I think that's also equal to pi sin(2pi z) by trigonomtric identities, but not sure about that.

never mind this post

dr3vil704 said:
hm..I believe the derivative of sin is cos. so the answer should be 2cos(pi*Z) * (Pi) or 2[tex]\pi[/tex]cos([tex]\pi[/tex]Z).

the first part is power rule and derivative of the Sin which is Cos. for the inside of the ( ), since it's product of a variable and a constant, we know that Pi is a number hence it a constant. So you take the dervitive of pi*Z and use the product rule:
it will be
Pi*1 + Z*(0)=Pi.

NO product rule! [itex]\pi[/itex] is NOT a variable, it is a constant just like 2 or [itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex] or any other NUMBER.

The chain rule qualitatively says: Take the derivative of the 'outside function' with the inside function as its argument and multiply it times the derivative of the 'inside function'.

In this case there are 2 outside functions. Start with the squared function and work your way inwards.

Casey

1. What is the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) with respect to Z?

The derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) with respect to Z is 2sin(pie*Z)cos(pie*Z) or simply sin(2pie*Z).

2. How do you solve for the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z)?

To solve for the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z), use the power rule and chain rule. The derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) is equal to 2sin(pie*Z)cos(pie*Z) or sin(2pie*Z).

3. What is the chain rule and how does it apply to this problem?

The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In this problem, the outer function is sin^2(pie*Z) and the inner function is pie*Z. Therefore, the derivative is equal to the derivative of the outer function, 2sin(pie*Z)cos(pie*Z), multiplied by the derivative of the inner function, pie.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve this problem?

For example, if we have the function y = sin^2(3pie*x), the derivative with respect to x would be 2sin(3pie*x)cos(3pie*x) or simply sin(6pie*x). We can use the chain rule to find the derivative: dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx = 2sin(u)cos(u) * 3pie = 6pie*sin(3pie*x)cos(3pie*x) = sin(6pie*x).

5. Is there a shortcut or simpler way to solve this problem?

Yes, there is a simpler way to solve this problem. We can use the trigonometric identity sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2. Therefore, the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) is equal to (1-cos(2pie*Z))/2. This method eliminates the need for the chain rule and simplifies the solution.