1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derivative

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the derivative of sin^2(pie*Z) with respect to Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the answer is pie/2*sin(pie*Z)

Is this correct? I keep getting confused with whether or not I should involve the 2 or not of should just leaving it along and just focus on my angle, Z
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    sin^2(pie*Z) is sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]z)?
    If it is, Then can't you use the chain rule? which is power rule on the whole out side of the ( ) and then it by multiply by the derivatives of the inside of the ( ). because sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]z) is just the same as (sin([tex]\pi[/tex]z))[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    [tex](\sin{x})^2 = \sin^{2}x[/tex]
  5. Dec 18, 2007 #4
    yeah, so Use the chain rule. Look at it as (sinx)^2 because is easier if you look at it like this.
  6. Dec 18, 2007 #5
    no pie is inside the paranthesis next to Z. I was thinking of doing the chain rule but wasnt sure. but its sin -square and the angle is pie next to Z

Is the answer sin over two *pie
  7. Dec 18, 2007 #6
    [tex]\frac{d}{dz}\sin^{2}{(\pi Z)}[/tex]
  8. Dec 18, 2007 #7
    no, chain rule?
  9. Dec 19, 2007 #8
    hm..I believe the derivative of sin is cos. so the answer should be 2cos(pi*Z) * (Pi) or 2[tex]\pi[/tex]cos([tex]\pi[/tex]Z).

the first part is power rule and derivative of the Sin which is Cos. for the inside of the ( ), since it's product of a variable and a constant, we know that Pi is a number hence it a constant. So you take the dervitive of pi*Z and use the product rule:
    it will be
    Pi*1 + Z*(0)=Pi.
  10. Dec 21, 2007 #9
    chain rule.

>_> just do the derivative of x^2 with respect to x [x=sin(pi z)] (the deravative is 2x). After that multiply by the derivative of x with repect to z. d/dz (sin(pi z)) = pi cos(pi z).

and this is: 2 pi sin(pi z)cos(pi z) and I think thats also equal to pi sin(2pi z) by trigonomtric identities, but not sure about that.
  11. Dec 22, 2007 #10
    never mind this post
  12. Dec 22, 2007 #11
    NO product rule! [itex]\pi[/itex] is NOT a variable, it is a constant just like 2 or [itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex] or any other NUMBER.

The chain rule qualitatively says: Take the derivative of the 'outside function' with the inside function as its argument and multiply it times the derivative of the 'inside function'.

In this case there are 2 outside functions. Start with the squared function and work your way inwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?