1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive a differential equation of a first order circuit

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Behaviour of any first-order circuit can be described by a first-order ordinary differential equation (often called the state equation) of the form :
    dx/dt + αx = βy(t); x(0) = x0
    where x is the state variable (usually the voltage across a capacitor or the current across an inductor), y(t) is a voltage or a current source, and the coefficients α, β are constants, depending on circuit elements. Assuming zero initial conditions in the circuit shown below:
    1. Derive symbolic expressions for the coefficients α and β in the state equation.
    2. If vs(t) = 35·u(t) V, calculate (numerically) the value of the inductor current x at t = 27 µs.

I understand how to derive the expression for a simple RC

dv/dt + v/RC = Vu(t)/dt which is the source

which is just kcl from the node above the capacitor

but for this circuit i have attached im a bit confuse as to where i should start? should i be zeroing sources? assuming the circuit is in steady state? mesh nodal thevenins nortorns ? any help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?