1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive coefficient of friction?

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    I have a box at rest on a plane raised to the critical angle.

I need to derive the formula [tex]\mu_s=mgtan(\theta)[/tex]
    I know [tex]f_s/n=\mu[/tex]

This leaves me with [tex]tan(\theta)=\mu[/tex] cause the mg cancel out.... what did I do wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\mu_s[/itex] is dimensionless so it cannot be equal to [itex]mgtan\theta[/itex]. Your answer is correct.

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    is what you are looking for

Draw a free body diagram.
    This is only in the limiting case that it is the maximum [tex]\mu_x[/tex] which will let the body rest on the incline of such an angle without sliding. So in this case you can use [tex]Friction=F_n*\mu[/tex]
    And set that equal to the component of the gravitational force pointing down the incline
  5. Oct 2, 2005 #4
    Yes, thats what I managed to get. I think the [tex]mgtan(\theta)[/tex] must be a mistake the teacher made since [tex]\mu[/tex] cannot equal [tex]mgtan(\theta)[/tex] because its dimensionless as AM said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?