Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive the electric field between parallel plates of negligible separation?

1. May 28, 2004 #1
    I read from a website that the electric field is independent of the separation between the plates if the separation is negligibly small. But how to derive this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use Gauss's Law

Start by deriving the field close to a sheet of charge. Use Gauss's law, realizing that the electric field, by symmetry, will be perpendicular to the surface.

The field between two parallel plates will be the sum of the fields from each plate.

4. May 28, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fact, this is true for a single, infinitely large plane too. And a hand waving argument for why this might be true is that there is no distance scale set by an infinite plane ....i.e. the result should be scale independent. I could use this same argument for a single point charge, or a line charge too...and of course it would be wrong, so don't take it too seriously

But go ahead with the Gaussian pillbox and see what you get.

Last edited: May 28, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?