?How to derive the equation of motion F=ma, given this info

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equation of motion F=ma from a given information and solving a problem involving a particle moving under the influence of a mass M. The speaker asks for confirmation on their attempted solution and for clarification on the direction of the particle's movement and the force of attraction. The expert advises the speaker to consider the direction of the particle's movement and the sign of the velocity in their solution, and to use the concept of directed distance.

cloud360 said:
for |r’(0)|=u , what is this , is it r? or gravity i.e should i sub r=0 or G=0?
It's hard for me to believe that you are asking these questions. We are 36 posts into this problem and you don't understand what the symbols in this problem mean. Go back to post #1 - it says what u is.

There's nothing in this problem that suggests that r = 0.
Also, why would you think that G = 0? G is a positive constant. Setting G to 0 is like asking if you should substitute 0 in for [itex]\pi[/itex].

cloud360 said:
But if a particle of mass M did move from a fixed point O, would that mean r’=0
There are two masses in this problem. The one at point O has a mass of M units (the units aren't given). The particle named P has a mass of m.

In this problem, mass M doesn't move, so it serves no purpose to assume that it does.

Apparently you don't understand what the symbols you are using mean.

What do you think each of these means (in words)?
r
r(t)
r(0)
r'(t)
r'(0)

When you answer these questions I'll give some suggestions for what you wrote in the attachment.

Physics news on Phys.org

Mark44 said:
It's hard for me to believe that you are asking these questions. We are 36 posts into this problem and you don't understand what the symbols in this problem mean. Go back to post #1 - it says what u is.

There's nothing in this problem that suggests that r = 0.
Also, why would you think that G = 0? G is a positive constant. Setting G to 0 is like asking if you should substitute 0 in for [itex]\pi[/itex].

There are two masses in this problem. The one at point O has a mass of M units (the units aren't given). The particle named P has a mass of m.

In this problem, mass M doesn't move, so it serves no purpose to assume that it does.

Apparently you don't understand what the symbols you are using mean.

What do you think each of these means (in words)?
r
r(t)
r(0)
r'(t)
r'(0)

When you answer these questions I'll give some suggestions for what you wrote in the attachment.

i know what they mean, i don't know how to use the initial condition |r'(0)|=u.

r is the position vector function.

r' means velocity,

r'(0) means velocity at t=0, right? but then how do i use the initial condition |r'(0)|=u,as my equation has no time or variable t, to sub t=0 into it !

i don't know where to sub 0 into, in the pic i have highlighted it red, the 0.

i also made an error, when i wrote

"for |r’(0)|=u , what is this , is it r?", i missed out a 0, should have written

"for |r’(0)|=u , what is this 0, is it r?"

but to conclude, can you confirm if my latest solution is correct, up to the last few lines. the way i used the initial condition was i chose G=0, that's how i interpreted |r'(0)|=u. which is wrong

Last edited:

I wrote

"But if a particle of mass M did move from a fixed point O, would that mean r’=0"

i had a previous question were it said "a particle of mass M is released from a fixed point O". but did not know if i should interpret as r'(0)=0?

should i interpret as r'(0)=0

Last edited:

cloud360 said:
i know what they mean, i don't know how to use the initial condition |r'(0)|=u.

r is the position vector function.
Yes. What I wrote as r and r(t) mean the same thing - the position at an arbitrary time.
cloud360 said:
r' means velocity,
And so does r'(t). To answer your question below, r'(0) means the velocity at time t = 0.

Since position, velocity, and acceleration are all vector quantities, if they're talking about speed, they mean the magnitude of the velocity, or |r'(t)|. The speed at time 0 is |r'(0)| = u.
cloud360 said:
r'(0) means velocity at t=0, right? but then how do i use the initial condition |r'(0)|=u,as my equation has no time or variable t, to sub t=0 into it !
Time is implied in the problem when they say that the particle is initially at a certain position. You can (and should) translate that wording into what it means, which is r(0) = a. You don't need to put in a bunch of verbiage that says "initially" suggests t = 0.

Similarly, when the problem says the the particle's speed is u, this means |r'(0)| = u. You don't have to explain any more than that.
cloud360 said:
i don't know where to sub 0 into, in the pic i have highlighted it red, the 0.

i also made an error, when i wrote

"for |r’(0)|=u , what is this , is it r?", i missed out a 0, should have written

"for |r’(0)|=u , what is this 0, is it r?"
No, r' is not a function of position r -- it is a function of time t. I explained above what r'(0) and |r'(0)| mean.
cloud360 said:
but to conclude, can you confirm if my latest solution is correct, up to the last few lines. the way i used the initial condition was i chose G=0, that's how i interpreted |r'(0)|=u. which is wrong
Yes. You cannot "choose" a value for G. Setting G to 0 makes no sense at all.

Additional comments in another post.

cloud360 said:
is my solution correct now. also i have a question, if you will kindly answer.

[PLAIN]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1016/solf.gif
From the line where you have v dv/dr = -MGr-2 I would do it exactly like I said in post #5, which I copied here.

In one of your lines where you're integrating, you have a indefinite integral on one side and a definite integral on the other side. DON'T DO THAT. Also, you don't need to explain each and every piddly step, such as when you move the constant outside the integral.

Mark44 said:
Going from the differential equation r'' = -MG/r2, I get
[tex]v dv/dr = -MG r^{-2}[/tex]
So
[tex]v dv = -MG r^{-2}dr[/tex]

Integration gives us
[tex]\int v dv = -\int MG r^{-2}dr[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (1/2) v^{2} = + MG/r + C[/tex]
Multiply both sides by 2:
[tex]v^2 = + 2MG/r + C'[/tex]
where C' = 2C

At t = 0, v(0) = u and r(0) = a, so
u2 = 2MG/a + C'
[tex]\Rightarrow C' = u^2 - 2MG/a[/tex]

Therefore
[tex]v^2 = + 2MG/r + u^2 - 2MG/a[/tex]
as required.

Last edited by a moderator:

just to confirm, i should not use integrals with limits, it it wrong to use integral with limits like i did?

Last edited:

It's wrong to have an indefinite integral on one side and a definite integral on the other side, which is what you had.

The problem is easier, IMO, if you don't use limits of integration.

Mark44 said:
It's wrong to have an indefinite integral on one side and a definite integral on the other side, which is what you had.

The problem is easier, IMO, if you don't use limits of integration.

someone told me to use integral with limits in the question below, and i did, is that wrong to

[PLAIN]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/1264/sol6.gif

I really want to use integral with limits because i am used to it

is my solution to the main question correct, i subbed r=a using |r(0)=a|. or is it completely wrong because i used integrals with limits to represent displacement?

[PLAIN]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6577/sol3i.gif

cloud360 said:
someone told me to use integral with limits in a different question.
This is a silly reason.
cloud360 said:
I really want to use integral with limits because i am used to it
Then you should use limits of integration on both sides, not just one.

What you have is not technically incorrect, but it looks sloppy.

You have introduced an error in the 4th line from the bottom. See if you can figure out what you did wrong.

Mark44 said:
This is a silly reason.
Then you should use limits of integration on both sides, not just one.

What you have is not technically incorrect, but it looks sloppy.

You have introduced an error in the 4th line from the bottom. See if you can figure out what you did wrong.

i forgot to get rid of that 0??

so how do you use limits on integration on both sides, is it like i did below

[PLAIN]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4716/sol8.gif

cloud360 said:
i forgot to get rid of that 0??
No. That's not it.
cloud360 said:
so how do you use limits on integration on both sides, is it like i did below

[PLAIN]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4716/sol8.gif[/QUOTE]

No. See post #40.

Mark44 said:
No. That's not it.No. See post #40.

cant figure it out.

i subbed r=a, because of the initial condition r(0)=a. was that wrong?

For your integrals, the limits of integration on the left integral are wrong.

The last four lines of your attachment are harder to follow than they need to be.

In your attachment, where you have
v2 = 2MG/r - 2MG/a + k

after that, say this:
v(0) = u and r(0) = a, so the equation above becomes
u2 = 2MG/a - 2MG/a + k = k

so k = u2
Therefore, v2 = 2MG/r - 2MG/a + u2
BTW, those bullet points you put in at each line are distracting.

Mark44 said:
For your integrals, the limits of integration on the left integral are wrong.

thanks for your help, so all i need to say is "v(0) = u and r(0) = a, so the equation above becomes..."

also, what's wrong with the limit of integration on LHS, why is it not "0 to v" for the LHS integrand

(next time i will remove the bullet points from any attachments)

I showed you a way to do it without the integration limits. If you insist on putting them in, you figure out what they need to be.