Deriving the Characteristic Function of the Gaussian Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected value of a function and an error in a derivation. There is also a question about how two different functions can be equal. The conversation includes a request for clarification and a statement of confusion.
tuanle007
hello, can someone look at my problem and tell me how to get to the arrow?
thank you so much..
i am studying for my midterm and i have no clue where it come from.
thanks

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 455
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That first line you point to is basically just the definition of how you find the "expected value" of a function.

That is, if a random variable X has a pdf (probablity density function) of f(x) then the expected value of x can be written as,

[tex] E(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x f(x) dx [/tex]

And more generally the expected value of a function of x can be written as,

[tex] E(\, \phi(x)\, ) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \phi(x) f(x) dx [/tex]

Last edited:
BTW, there's an error in that derivation. The x^2 term that appears in the first square bracketed term in line 4 (2nd line under the completing the square heading) should be just "x" (not squared). This error is carried all the way through the derivation BTW.

yeah.i understand that part..
but how does exp(-o^2w^2/2) = exp(-x^2/2o^2)?
the arrow...

tuanle007 said:
the arrow...

What? It never says that anywhere. The question says to prove that,

[tex]\Phi(\omega) = exp(-\sigma^2 \omega^2 /2)[/tex]

You must be misreading it because nowhere does it claim the thing you state.

tuanle007 said:
the arrow...

It doesn't say that. It says that you are to prove that the [/b]characteristic function[/b] for the the Gaussian distribution is
[tex]e^{\frac{-\sigma^2\omega^2}{2}}[/itex]
and them immediately uses the fact that the Gaussian distribution (with mean 0) itself can be written as
[tex]e^{\frac{-x^2}{2\sigma^2}[/tex]

Those are two completely different functions.

1. How do I determine the starting point for deriving to a specific point?

The starting point for deriving to a specific point will depend on the specific problem or question you are trying to answer. It is important to clearly define the goal or desired outcome before beginning the derivation process. This will help guide your approach and determine the necessary starting point.

2. What is the purpose of deriving to a specific point?

The purpose of deriving to a specific point is to find a mathematical or logical solution to a problem or question. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable steps in order to reach a specific conclusion or result. Deriving is a fundamental tool in scientific research and problem-solving.

3. What are the key steps in the derivation process?

The key steps in the derivation process may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally include the following: 1) clearly defining the problem or question, 2) identifying and understanding any relevant equations or concepts, 3) breaking down the problem into smaller steps, 4) applying mathematical or logical operations to solve each step, and 5) evaluating and simplifying the final solution.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my derivation?

To ensure the accuracy of your derivation, it is important to double check each step and the final solution. This can be done by plugging the solution back into the original problem and confirming that it satisfies all given conditions. Additionally, peer review and collaboration with other scientists can help catch any potential errors or oversights.

5. What are some common challenges in the derivation process?

Some common challenges in the derivation process include: 1) identifying the correct starting point, 2) understanding and properly applying relevant equations or concepts, 3) keeping track of multiple variables and equations, 4) making logical connections between each step, and 5) avoiding errors or mistakes in calculations. These challenges can be overcome with practice, attention to detail, and seeking help from others when needed.