Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to Derive Wave Function

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    Everybody knows what is the Wave Function is.
    $$\Psi=\space e^{i(kx-\omega t)}$$
    or
    $$\Psi=\space cos{(kx-\omega t)} \space - \space isin{(kx-\omega t)}$$

But can anyone tell me how it is derived. Since Schrodinger Equation is derived so easily using this Wave Function. I think it is necessary to understand how the Wave Function is derived.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wave function of what? You have just given the wave function for a free particle. In many other cases the wave function will be completely different and behave different wrt time.

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3
    This is the wave function I found when proving the Schrodinger equation. I think this is the wave function of the electron in Hydrogen atom.

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4
    No, it's definitely not a wave function of electron in hydrogen. You need to read more carefully your sources.

6. Sep 3, 2016 #5
    Alright, let us think this is a Wave function of a particle for the time being, can you tell me how it is derived.

7. Sep 3, 2016 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Classically, it is the solution to the EOM of the simple harmonic oscillator.

8. Sep 3, 2016 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's the other way around. One derives the wave function for a particular system (e.g. a free particle) by solving Schrödinger's equation for that system.

Many introductory textbooks "justify" the Schrödinger equation or "motivate" it or "make it plausible" by assuming that a free particle with a definite momentum must be represented by a simple harmonic wave ##\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}##, but fundamentally, the Schrödinger equation comes first. Many or most elementary treaments of QM simply present the SE as a fundamental assumption of the theory.

(I predict that we will now have a long debate about what is the "real" logical starting point for non-relativistic quantum mechanics. :-p)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  9. Sep 3, 2016 #8
    I think the best derivation is founded on Universty Physics With Modern Physics by Sears and Zemansky. I did not find any derivation even in more advanced textbooks on QM, because they usually apresents the wave function only as an postulate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted