Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to describe a feeling

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have been asked to do such, but i am at a loss, i am not talking about love or hate or emotion, more a feeling of impending danger or a warning type feeling.
    People use terms like, heart beats faster or butterflies in the stomach, but these do not fit the bill.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    with an apprehension slowly increasing until well above national average.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

As an example, the (cringe) feeling when some one scratches their finger nails across a blackboard.
    I have never understood this or how it (feels).

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4
    I get flashes of warning words that pop into my head, when my intuition decides that something may be wrong. No, don't, stop.

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Panic attack - your heart fills like it will impload and possibly a feeling of nausea and a feeling of doom and/or dread?

7. Oct 14, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I do not recall having a panic attack but it sounds awful, nausea and dread yes, but what does (doom) feel like?
    It seems to me that words like doom name the feelings without giving a (physical) feeling to them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  8. Oct 14, 2008 #7
    Your muscles tighten. You feel cold. Your skin crawls in one massive wave of stimulus up your arms and legs?

9. Oct 14, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

- muscles tense, particularly in the neck, hands
    - face scrunches up, eyes squint
    - hair stands on end, goosebumps
    - hair on back of neck stands up, feels like someone's looking at you
    - hot/cold flash, instant sheen of sweat
    - prickly skin

This last is one I definitely get - feels like I'm suddenly encased in a pincushion body suit. Worst is on hands, arms, legs, feet and scalp.

10. Oct 14, 2008 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I always find it hard to describe the feeling I have for someone I'm attracted to.

I guess it kind of feels like a soft fruit. Maybe not as soft as a banana, but definitely it's more than a peeling. Especially when I hear that old song they used to play ("More than a peeling"). I begin dreaming.... til I see Marianne walking away.

Or were they singing, "More than apealling"? I can never remember which.

11. Oct 14, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

(Feels like some one is looking at you) is the sort of thing i am after, may be the feelings one gets as a warning, even if some times there is no danger.
    How does it (feel) to be looked at.

12. Oct 14, 2008 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

To me, it's as if my entire attention is on a spot somewhere around me, even if I'm not physically looking at that spot.

For example, if I'm expecting trouble to come to my door (literally, not just figuratively) then, even though I am currently facing away from the door, I am very aware of it. I become very conscious of my peripheral vision and my hearing. Things from those vicinities become blown out of proportion.

13. Oct 14, 2008 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Doom? I don't know, it's the feeling I get every morning when I wake up and realize that I could have slept another hour, but know I will never get back to sleep and that I have to go to work. :frown:

14. Oct 14, 2008 #13
    If you want to be nerdy you could say that epinephrine is released and list off the various physiological side effects, like eye dilation, pause in glucose uptake, increased respiratory rate...

15. Oct 15, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Your muscles tighten. You feel cold. Your skin crawls in one massive wave of stimulus up your arms and legs?

Wow, you guys have some strong feelings.

16. Oct 15, 2008 #15
    This is what I really think of when I think "Doom..."

[​IMG]

Look, he's even a Postal Worker.

Scary.

17. Oct 16, 2008 #16

~christina~

Gold Member

forboding? this is what I thought of, from your descriptions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?