Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to describe this in words?

  1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to basically describe the way a pulsing sound like that of a burglar alarm is more likely to waken you than a continuous sound like that of a reversing truck?

    What I've got so far is

    The oscillating output of a 555 timer would be more appropriate for this alarm circuit as this would pulse the buzzer sound and make it more distinctive than a continuous tone and more likely to alert someone to the danger.

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    How about "more annoying"?

    But seriously your choice of words looks fine to me.
  4. Apr 21, 2012 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Hi, Rollcast. I'm not sure whether or not this is what you have in mind, but in my life we usually refer to what you describe as "warbling".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook