How to design for Fourier filters?

In summary, To achieve edge enhancement in Fourier optics-optical image processing, we need to convert the image to the Fourier domain, remove low-frequency components, and then take the inverse Fourier transform. Designing filters for this purpose is a complex topic and requires consulting with experts in the comp.dsp USENET newsgroup.
jaycee4u
I am working on an experiment on Fourier optics-optical image processing. In order to get edge enhancement, how do we actually go about high pass filtering. How to design filters? How to decide the filter dimensions? Can anyone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert the image to the Fourier domain, lop off the low-frequency components you don't want, then take the inverse Fourier transform to get back an image. The design of filters is an immense topic, much too large to describe here.

- Warren

I have done that. But to get edge enhancement, hoe to calculate the dimensions of the high pass filter? How to characterize the spatial frequencies? I went through a few books but none gave a method to design filters for my purpose. Would you help me?

jaycee4u said:
I have done that. But to get edge enhancement, hoe to calculate the dimensions of the high pass filter? How to characterize the spatial frequencies? I went through a few books but none gave a method to design filters for my purpose. Would you help me?

i would take this question to the comp.dsp USENET newsgroup. Google Groups is one way to post there.

1. What is a Fourier filter?

A Fourier filter is a type of filter used in signal processing and image processing to analyze and manipulate the frequency components of a signal or image. It is based on the Fourier transform, which breaks down a signal into its individual frequency components.

2. How do you design a Fourier filter?

The design of a Fourier filter involves determining the desired frequency response and then choosing the appropriate filter type and parameters to achieve that response. This can be done using mathematical formulas or software tools.

3. What are the different types of Fourier filters?

The most commonly used types of Fourier filters are low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-stop filters. These filters allow certain frequency components to pass through while attenuating others.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a Fourier filter?

Some important factors to consider when designing a Fourier filter include the desired frequency response, the type of signal or image being filtered, the characteristics of the noise in the signal, and the resources available for implementation.

5. How are Fourier filters used in real-world applications?

Fourier filters have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as audio and video processing, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They are used to remove unwanted noise, enhance certain features, and improve signal quality in these applications.