How to determine constant to be in Hilbert space

In summary, the Ritz method for solving an ODE involves approximating the solution through a series using prescribed functions. To ensure that the function is in the Hilbert space, a necessary condition is that the constant ##d_i## must be chosen such that ##\int_\Gamma d_i^2dx## is finite, which is achieved by setting ##d_i = \frac{1}{\Gamma}\int_\Gamma\phi_i##. This condition also helps with minimizing the error in the Ritz method.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm trying to solve an ODE through the Ritz method, which is to say approximate the solution through a series $$\Phi = \sum_{i=1}^N a_if_i,\\
f_i = \phi_i-d_i.$$
Here ##a_i## are constants to be determined and ##f_i## are prescribed functions, where ##\phi_i## is a function and ##d_i## is a constant.

A necessary input for this method is to determine ##f_i##. For my particular problem the solution can be constructed from even or odd functions ##\phi_i##, which I denote ##\phi_{i,even}## and ##\phi_{i,odd}##. Since ##\phi_i## are Fourier modes (I've not listed them explicitly but I can) it is known they each form complete orthogonal systems in two mutually orthogonal subspaces, ##H_1## and ##H_2## for odd and even respectively, and together they compose the Hilbert space ##H##.

Here's where I get lost: the text states in order for ##\phi_i-d_i \in H##, it must be true ##d_i = \frac{1}{\Gamma}\int_\Gamma\phi_i##. Why is this? I observe with this condition ##\int_\Gamma f_i = 0##, not sure if this is relevant or not though. Any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

The condition ##d_i = \frac{1}{\Gamma}\int_\Gamma\phi_i## is necessary for ##\phi_i-d_i## to be an element of the Hilbert space ##H##. This is because the Hilbert space is a complete vector space of functions, and in order for a function to be in this space, it must satisfy certain conditions.

One of these conditions is that the function must have a finite norm, which is defined as ##\sqrt{\langle f, f \rangle}##, where ##\langle f, g \rangle## is the inner product of two functions. In this case, the inner product is defined as ##\langle f, g \rangle = \int_\Gamma f(x)g(x)dx##.

If we substitute ##f_i = \phi_i-d_i## into the inner product, we get ##\langle f_i, f_i \rangle = \int_\Gamma (\phi_i(x)-d_i)^2dx##. In order for this integral to be finite, the constant ##d_i## must be chosen such that ##\int_\Gamma d_i^2dx## is also finite. This is why we have the condition ##d_i = \frac{1}{\Gamma}\int_\Gamma\phi_i##, as it ensures that the integral is finite and therefore the function ##\phi_i-d_i## is in the Hilbert space.

As for your observation that ##\int_\Gamma f_i = 0##, this is indeed relevant. It means that the function ##f_i## has a mean value of zero over the interval ##\Gamma##, which is a useful property for the Ritz method. This is because the Ritz method seeks to minimize the error between the exact solution and the approximate solution, and having a mean value of zero helps to achieve this.

I hope this helps to clarify the condition and its relevance in the Ritz method. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you define a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis that is defined as a complete vector space with an inner product operation. It is typically denoted as H and can have infinite dimensions.

2. What is the role of a constant in a Hilbert space?

In a Hilbert space, a constant is a scalar value that is used to scale vectors. It is usually denoted as c and is an essential part of the space's underlying mathematical structure. It allows for the transformation of vectors within the space.

3. How do you determine the constant in a Hilbert space?

The constant in a Hilbert space is typically determined through various mathematical operations and equations. One common method is to use the inner product operation to establish a relationship between two vectors and then solve for the constant. Other methods may involve using properties of orthogonal vectors or the Gram-Schmidt process.

4. What is the significance of determining the constant in a Hilbert space?

Determining the constant in a Hilbert space is crucial for understanding the relationships between vectors and their transformations within the space. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as norms, distances, and angles, which are used in various applications of Hilbert spaces, including quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Can a constant in a Hilbert space be negative?

Yes, a constant in a Hilbert space can be negative. This is because a constant is simply a scalar value and can take on any real number, including negative values. In some cases, having a negative constant may be necessary for certain transformations within the space.