Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to determine electron configuration

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1
    -how would one predict electron configuration of an atom? (ex.Rb- [Ar]4s^2, 3d^10, 4p^6) ....How, help please

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    this is pretty textbook...

do you have one readily available?

4. Aug 3, 2005 #3
    not one that explains this... im kinda past the textbooks they lend me... this is more or less further study

(im trying to get a head start on some classes im gonna start in not too long, and want to understand this)

5. Aug 4, 2005 #4

oh, alright, then. i used the complete idiot's guide to chemistry to get a head start on my college chem classes. i think that all of this stuff is in there.

i would recommend the textbook my college used, but it would kinda suck to get it and then have to buy a different one, if the college you go to uses a different text.

but if you can find it dirt-cheap, chemistry by silberberg (3rd edition) has all the answers to your questions.

6. Aug 6, 2005 #5
    alright.. ill look into either, but i may have it (i googled it for a while)

7. Aug 6, 2005 #6
    beware, though. the complete idiot's guide kinda really blew it with the VSEPR and hybridization.

the textbook by silberberg presents that stuff in a WAY superior fashion.

8. Aug 6, 2005 #7
    do you know if...thinks*...oh yeah -zumdahl- is any good, i can get a hold of that should that be as in depth as possible? (its a textbook)

9. Aug 6, 2005 #8
    i honestly have no idea. someone else is going to have to give you an opinion on that one.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook