1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine electron configuration

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1
    -how would one predict electron configuration of an atom? (ex.Rb- [Ar]4s^2, 3d^10, 4p^6) ....How, help please
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    this is pretty textbook...

do you have one readily available?
  4. Aug 3, 2005 #3
    not one that explains this... im kinda past the textbooks they lend me... this is more or less further study

(im trying to get a head start on some classes im gonna start in not too long, and want to understand this)
  5. Aug 4, 2005 #4

oh, alright, then. i used the complete idiot's guide to chemistry to get a head start on my college chem classes. i think that all of this stuff is in there.

i would recommend the textbook my college used, but it would kinda suck to get it and then have to buy a different one, if the college you go to uses a different text.

but if you can find it dirt-cheap, chemistry by silberberg (3rd edition) has all the answers to your questions.
  6. Aug 6, 2005 #5
    alright.. ill look into either, but i may have it (i googled it for a while)
  7. Aug 6, 2005 #6
    beware, though. the complete idiot's guide kinda really blew it with the VSEPR and hybridization.

the textbook by silberberg presents that stuff in a WAY superior fashion.
  8. Aug 6, 2005 #7
    do you know if...thinks*...oh yeah -zumdahl- is any good, i can get a hold of that should that be as in depth as possible? (its a textbook)
  9. Aug 6, 2005 #8
    i honestly have no idea. someone else is going to have to give you an opinion on that one.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?