How to determine electron configuration

In summary, the conversation is about predicting electron configuration of an atom and the best resources for understanding this concept. The participants mention using textbooks such as "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chemistry" and "Chemistry" by Silberberg, but warn that the former may not be accurate in its explanations of VSEPR and hybridization. The conversation ends with one participant asking for opinions on another textbook, "Zumdahl," for further understanding.
professor
-how would one predict electron configuration of an atom? (ex.Rb- [Ar]4s^2, 3d^10, 4p^6) ...How, help please

Physics news on Phys.org
professor said:
-how would one predict electron configuration of an atom? (ex.Rb- [Ar]4s^2, 3d^10, 4p^6) ...How, help please

this is pretty textbook...

do you have one readily available?

not one that explains this... I am kinda past the textbooks they lend me... this is more or less further study

(im trying to get a head start on some classes I am going to start in not too long, and want to understand this)

professor said:
not one that explains this... I am kinda past the textbooks they lend me... this is more or less further study

(im trying to get a head start on some classes I am going to start in not too long, and want to understand this)

oh, alright, then. i used the complete idiot's guide to chemistry to get a head start on my college chem classes. i think that all of this stuff is in there.

i would recommend the textbook my college used, but it would kinda suck to get it and then have to buy a different one, if the college you go to uses a different text.

but if you can find it dirt-cheap, chemistry by silberberg (3rd edition) has all the answers to your questions.

alright.. ill look into either, but i may have it (i googled it for a while)

professor said:
alright.. ill look into either, but i may have it (i googled it for a while)

beware, though. the complete idiot's guide kinda really blew it with the VSEPR and hybridization.

the textbook by silberberg presents that stuff in a WAY superior fashion.

do you know if...thinks*...oh yeah -zumdahl- is any good, i can get a hold of that should that be as in depth as possible? (its a textbook)

professor said:
do you know if...thinks*...oh yeah -zumdahl- is any good, i can get a hold of that should that be as in depth as possible? (its a textbook)

i honestly have no idea. someone else is going to have to give you an opinion on that one.

1. What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule, specifically in their orbitals or energy levels. It determines the chemical and physical properties of an element.

2. How do you determine electron configuration?

To determine electron configuration, you need to follow the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill the lowest energy orbitals first. Then, you can use the Pauli exclusion principle and Hund's rule to determine the exact arrangement of electrons in each orbital.

3. What is the shorthand notation for electron configuration?

The shorthand notation for electron configuration is the noble gas notation, where the symbol of the noble gas in the previous period is used in place of the fully written out electron configuration. For example, the electron configuration for sodium (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1) becomes [Ne] 3s1.

4. How does electron configuration affect an element's properties?

Electron configuration determines an element's properties by influencing its reactivity, ionization energy, and atomic size. Elements with a full outer electron shell (noble gases) are unreactive, while those with partially filled shells are more reactive. The number of valence electrons also affects an element's ionization energy and atomic size.

5. Are there any exceptions to electron configuration rules?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to electron configuration rules, such as the half-filled and completely filled d subshells. For example, chromium's electron configuration is [Ar] 3d5 4s1 instead of the expected [Ar] 3d4 4s2. This is because a half-filled d subshell is more stable than a partially filled one.