1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine M (Waves)

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i.imgur.com/xrba7.png

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using this equation to find the thickness of the polymer.

[(m+(1/2)) λ = 2nt] (where "n" is the index of refraction and "t" is the thickness )

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to know how m is determined. I've learned everything else, but I missed the first day on which m value to use and it's always jsut slipped my mind whenever I'm in class or lab.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

m is any integer, including zero.

ehild

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks, but I'm still unsure as to why "0" is used in the solution instead of "1" or "2".

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First: it is easier to make a thinner coating then a thick one.

Second: The reflectance depends on the wavelength, this function is about the form R=A+Bcos(4piND/lambda) (N is the refractive index, D the thickness). If the reflectance is zero at a specific wavelength, it stays low in the broadest wavelength range when D has the smallest possible value.
    The figure shows the reflectance spectrum of two coatings, one 100 nm, the other 300 nm thick. Both have zero reflectance at 600 nm.

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook