How Is the Value of 'm' Determined in Interference Equations?

• Thread starter hyde2042
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to find the thickness of a polymer, with the variable "m" being any integer, including zero. The use of zero is advantageous in creating a thinner coating and maintaining low reflectance across a range of wavelengths. The reflectance spectrum of two coatings, one 100 nm and the other 300 nm thick, is also shown to illustrate this point.
hyde2042

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/xrba7.png

Homework Equations

I'm using this equation to find the thickness of the polymer.

[(m+(1/2)) λ = 2nt] (where "n" is the index of refraction and "t" is the thickness )

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to know how m is determined. I've learned everything else, but I missed the first day on which m value to use and it's always just slipped my mind whenever I'm in class or lab.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
m is any integer, including zero. ehild

Thanks, but I'm still unsure as to why "0" is used in the solution instead of "1" or "2".

hyde2042 said:
Thanks, but I'm still unsure as to why "0" is used in the solution instead of "1" or "2".

First: it is easier to make a thinner coating then a thick one.

Second: The reflectance depends on the wavelength, this function is about the form R=A+Bcos(4piND/lambda) (N is the refractive index, D the thickness). If the reflectance is zero at a specific wavelength, it stays low in the broadest wavelength range when D has the smallest possible value.
The figure shows the reflectance spectrum of two coatings, one 100 nm, the other 300 nm thick. Both have zero reflectance at 600 nm.

ehild

Attachments

• antirefl.jpg
    antirefl.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 360

To determine the value of m in the given equation, you need to look at the specific experimental setup and conditions. The value of m represents the number of interference fringes that can be observed in the experiment. This value can vary depending on the type of light source, the properties of the material being studied, and the geometry of the setup. In some cases, m may be a whole number, while in others it may be a fraction or decimal.

To determine the exact value of m, you can use a variety of techniques such as measuring the distance between fringes, using a monochromatic light source, or adjusting the angle of incidence. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and procedures provided by your instructor or lab manual to accurately determine the value of m. Additionally, it is important to note that the value of m may vary for different experiments and materials, so it is important to determine it for each specific case.

1. How do I measure M (Waves)?

The most common way to measure M (Waves) is by using a seismograph, which records the vibrations caused by the waves during an earthquake. The seismograph produces a seismogram, which can be used to determine the magnitude of the earthquake.

2. What is the formula for calculating M (Waves)?

The formula for calculating M (Waves) is based on the logarithm of the amplitude of the seismic waves recorded by a seismograph. The equation is M = log(A) - log(A0), where A is the maximum amplitude of the seismic waves and A0 is a reference amplitude.

3. How do I convert M (Waves) to Richter scale?

M (Waves) and Richter scale are two different ways to measure earthquake magnitude. To convert M (Waves) to Richter scale, you can use the formula M = 2/3 log10(E) - 2.92, where E is the energy released by the earthquake in joules.

4. What is the difference between M (Waves) and M (Moment Magnitude)?

M (Waves) and M (Moment Magnitude) are both used to measure earthquake magnitude, but they are based on different factors. M (Waves) is calculated using the amplitude of seismic waves, while M (Moment Magnitude) is calculated using the seismic moment, which takes into account the size of the fault and the amount of slip that occurs during an earthquake.

5. How accurate is the measurement of M (Waves)?

The accuracy of M (Waves) measurement depends on various factors such as the distance from the earthquake, the type of seismograph used, and the quality of the data collected. Generally, M (Waves) can be measured with an accuracy of about 0.1 magnitude units.