How to determine minimum required force in an applied context

In summary, a graduate student in psychology is seeking guidance on how to report the force required to break static friction in two different situations involving blocks and a piece of cloth. It is suggested to conduct experiments or use mathematical equations to determine the force, with the former being a more accurate approach.
kbupshaw
Hello,

I am a graduate student in psychology and I've encountered an issue in one of my studies that is outside of my expertise, but hopefully within one of yours.

Here's my predicament:

I recently conducted a study with infant participants that investigated infants' ability to solve a simple problem involving two blocks of differing mass (one 70 grams and the other 470 g.) and a piece of cloth. The problem that infants must solve is this: one block is placed on top of the cloth, such that the block itself is out of their reach, yet the cloth is within reach, so infants must pull the cloth in order to retrieve the supported block. To publish my findings, I am being asked to report:

1) for the 470 g block, what is the amount of force required to break static friction between the cloth and the table beneath it (which would cause the supported block to begin to move)?

2) for the 70 g block, what is the amount of force required to break static friction between the cloth and the block, such that the cloth would move separately, leaving the block behind?

In solving #1 and #2, all factors are identical (e.g., direction of force, acceleration, materials of the item, etc.) except for the mass of the block and the point of breaking static friction. I created a force diagram to better illustrate my problem---please overlook/forgive my lay explanation and terminology (i.e., I didn't include normal force or gravity in the diagram). Importantly, I am more concerned with the relative relation between the force required in these two situations, rather than the absolute value.

What I'm wondering is, what is the best way to answer this problem? Is it possible to solve the problem in the abstract, that is, filling in approximationis for the relevant variables? Any suggestions you have are appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• ForceDiagram.pdf
    177.9 KB · Views: 194
Engineering news on Phys.org
for your time!Dear graduate student in psychology,

Thank you for sharing your study with us. Your predicament is certainly an interesting one and I am happy to provide some guidance on how to approach it.

Firstly, it is important to note that the force required to break static friction is dependent on several factors including the mass of the blocks, the coefficient of static friction between the cloth and the table, and the force applied to the cloth. Therefore, in order to accurately determine the force required in each situation, it is necessary to conduct experiments with different variables and measure the force required in each case.

One approach you could take is to use a force sensor to measure the force required in each situation. For the 470 g block, you could place the block on the cloth and gradually increase the force applied to the cloth until the block starts to move. This would give you the force required to break static friction between the cloth and the table. Similarly, for the 70 g block, you could place the cloth on top of the block and gradually increase the force applied to the cloth until it starts to move separately from the block. This would give you the force required to break static friction between the cloth and the block.

Another approach could be to use mathematical equations to approximate the force required in each situation. However, this would require accurate measurements of the coefficient of static friction between the cloth and the table, as well as the cloth and the block. These values can vary depending on the materials used, so it may be more accurate to conduct experiments and measure the force directly.

In conclusion, the best way to answer your problem would be to conduct experiments and measure the force required in each situation. This would give you the most accurate results and allow you to report the data in your study. I hope this helps and best of luck with your research.

1. What is minimum required force?

Minimum required force refers to the amount of force needed to achieve a specific result or overcome a certain resistance. It is usually determined by considering factors such as the weight of an object, the surface it is resting on, and any other opposing forces.

2. How is minimum required force calculated?

The calculation of minimum required force involves using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. This means that to calculate the minimum required force, we need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration needed to move it.

3. What factors affect the minimum required force?

The minimum required force is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the surface it is resting on, the coefficient of friction, and any other opposing forces such as air resistance. These factors can vary depending on the specific context in which the force is being applied.

4. How can the minimum required force be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of minimum required force can be applied in many real-life situations. For example, it can be used in engineering to determine the amount of force needed to lift a heavy object, in sports to calculate the force required to throw a ball a certain distance, or in construction to determine the force needed to drive a nail into a piece of wood.

5. Can the minimum required force ever be zero?

In theory, the minimum required force could be zero if there are no opposing forces and the object is already in motion. However, in most practical situations, there will always be some amount of force needed to overcome resistance and achieve a desired result.